Losing Connectivity
neudad

HELP!!  I've been a FiOS customer since January '08.  I have lost my internet connection at least once per day .. some times many more.  My multiple computers (both wired and wireless) can still communicate with each other and I can still print from any computer (one pc serves as a print server), but the only way back to the internet is to reboot the router.  Another interesting, but very puzzling fact, is that while the internet is unavailable I can't log into the router!!!  Don't even get the login page.  Verizon has replaced the router 3 times (maybe 4) and the CNT (I think that's what the call the main box) once.  It's gotten better, but it's still at least once per day.  I didn't have a single outage with cable for 4 years.  By the way, when the internet is out, I can't look at any OnDemand selections on my TV.

We don't do any massive dowloads or uploads .... mainly e-mail and internet.  No Bittorrent.  One of the techs had suggested that one of the PCs could be causing it so I should try isolating the computers one at a time.  Well that's pretty difficult to do with 3 kids, but we tried it the day my daughter came home with her brand new Mac.  All of the other computers were off.  Only the brand new Mac, right out of the box was online.  It took a bout 6 hours, but we lost the internet.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I don't want to go through the hassle of switching carriers again. 

0 Likes
Re: Losing Connectivity
KMacK

Hey, I don't know what's going on with your internet connection reliability, but don't switch from FiOS because it's the best thing out there right now and will be for a long time!!!

It sounds like you may be having some issues with your wireless configuration settings. If I were in your situation, try connecting one of the computers hardwired. (Cat 5e or Cat 6)

See if the hardwired connection gives you any problems and then take it from there. That way you may be able to narrow the problem down to the wireless end.

0 Likes
KMacK
Oh, sorry I did'nt notice that you mentioned both wired and wireless.....sorry. I'm not really sure. Hey, there's always the option of being on the phone with tech support for a couple hours!
0 Likes
neudad
Thanks for trying.  I can't begin to tell you how many hours I've spent online with Tech Support or how much vacation time I've taken off of work to be here when they came.
0 Likes
Ucamuk1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Neudad-

A couple things I might suggest.

Try running another coax or cat5 (whichever you have) from the ONT to your router.  Even if the existing one was installed new during the FiOS installation.  If this is a major problem, can you move the router next to the ONT and just connect the two with a patch cable?  This would be only for troubleshooting.  Chances are you would only be able to use your wireless computers with this setup, but you can still determine if it solves the problem.

Try another power source for the ONT.  If you must run an extension cord to do this, it won't be permanent, just for troubleshooting purposes.

0 Likes