Losing DSL conection regularly.
GeneWilder

Well in the summer i called about my internet keep losing conncection and forcing my modem to reset for 15 sec to resolve the issue.  After a couple hours of support trying to figure out what happened, they sent out a new modem.   The thing is its still happening.   Be fine for a couple of hours then bam the internet loses connection and has to be shut off and turned back on to get internet connected again.   It wouldnt be to bad if it was happening once a day, but its happening multiple times a day. ( 6 times yesterday)   Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem.   Its getting really stressful.

0 Likes
Re: Losing DSL conection regularly.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Please post your Modem Transceiver Statistics. You can obtain them by visiting http://192.168.1.1/ , clicking System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors and then Transceiver Statistics. If you are presented with a Username and Password prompt, try one of the following combinations.

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Your Verizon username and password

Additionally, how is your voice service, if you have a phone with with Verizon? Do you have Static, buzzing, or any other noise on the line that should not be there?
0 Likes
GeneWilder

voice works perfectly fine ( have it thru verizon)

Here is the stats:

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path INTERLEAVED
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 832 Margin (dB) 26.8 11.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 22.0 15.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 8.3 11.9

0 Likes
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been having the same problem a few years.  Usually it clears up after a few weeks but for the past few months it's been ridiculously frustrating. I test my speed on speakeasy.com and get about .80 Mbps download and .21 Mbps upload.  My  transceiver stats are below.   It says I have no DSL connection and I'm beginning to think that's the real  problem.  I've been paying for DSL and getting dial up speeds.

Transceiver Revision: 7.1.254   Vendor ID Code:        0   Line Mode:               not defined   Data Path:               not defined   Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) No DSL Connection No DSL Connection Margin (db) not available not defined Line Attenuation (db) not available not defined Transmit Power (db/Hz) not defined not defined

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
There seems to be a small problem on the upstream of your connection as it is not synced properly (G.DMT Sync rates for 3Mbps are 3360/864). For your distance, the Margin on the upstream should also be higher. Do you have access to a NID, or Network Interface Device? If so, see if you can plug your DSL modem into the test jack found inside of it to rule out your home's wiring. Once this is done, post up the statistics you get while connected to the NID.

@catlady4114: Can you post up those statistics when the modem is synced and the Internet is working? That page shows the modem isn't holding a sync. Additionally, if you have voice service do you get any noise on it such as static, or humming?
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

Below are the stats taken Monday afternoon with the new modem.  I used the old modom for the other test because I couldn't get a steady DSL lighn on the new modom..  I tried again today and the DSL light stayed on so I could do the setup.   I don' tknow if it matters or not but my Speakesy speed test says download is .14 mbps and upload is .24.  I'm not watching online videos or uploading images or doing anything else that would slow me down.  There's no problem with the phone.

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path INTERLEAVED
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 160 288 Margin (dB) 5.5 10.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 43.0 26.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 13.2 11.8

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Your line is having some trouble with noise, but it definitely isn't an issue with noise. Do you have access to your NID, or know what a NID is? If you can, plug your modem into the test jack found inside of it and post up the statistics you get while plugged into the NID. If you are unable to do this, let me know.
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here are the test results from the NID hookup.  Speed is much better but I'm disconnecting again and some pages are loading basic style.   Yesterday I didn't disconnect at all with the new modem but speed was really bad. 

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 5888 864 Margin (dB) 17.8 12.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 40.0 23.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 19.6 11.9

0 Likes
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm connected in the house again.  DSL is slow as tar on a cool day.  Can't figure out why it started running so slow.  I've had Verizon DSL for years.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Check over all of your wiring in your home and make sure any devices plugged into the line are properly filtered. Check the condition of each jack both inside of it and behind it to make sure connections are tight, free of corrosion and are not shorting out. Also, check the condition of any phone cables attached past the filters to make sure they are in good shape, and try unplugging certain devices to see if line conditions improve (fixing speed will require a re-sync).