Losing Internet on my Laptops
jascione
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been using Verizon DSL for many years and have not had a problem until recently. I have two Dell Inspiron Laptops that I use on my home network. The past week I have been dropping the Internet connection on both laptops. The signal drops at the same time on both Laptops. I have to reboot the modem to get the signal back. I use the Laptops to run my home business and this is becoming a serious issue. My modem is a Westel model 327W. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Losing Internet on my Laptops
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Have you moved or added any applicances lately? Cordless phones, microwaves, baby monitors... There are many things that can interfere with your router's wireless signal.

Try changing the channel on your wireless router, as that may help.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It might also be worthwhile to check to see if the issue continues while directly connected to the Westell. If the connection is still dropping even while on Ethernet, we can look to see if it's an issue with the DSL Line itself or with the Westell.

nrv1964
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't know if my problem was exactly the same, but when my phone would ring, it would disconnect my laptop and our Xbox.  Tech Support changed something so that router would stay on the same channel all the time, even after a power outage.  He also deleted the list of wireless networks that were on my machine from when I would use a public network.  Those two things helped me have better connectivity. 

meltedone52

I have been having the same problem at my home network as well.  I use two laptops, and one desktop.  DT=HP, the Laptops are a Dell and a Sony.  All very recently purchased and have been working fine until about two weeks ago.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As mentioned above, are you seeing any issues when you are connected to your router via Ethernet?

hracer
Contributor - Level 2

Sounds like too many persons or devices on the same wireless channel. try this tool on one of the laptops to see who is using what channels in your area http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ It's free and very useful. I used it to find out why i was getting a slow internet connection via wireless.