Losing Windows XP Support must move Router Connection
GoLf1952
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased FIOS in 2009.  I had everything loaded onto my desktop PC which is old and runs XP.  Since support is ending for XP, I purchased a laptop that is running Win 8.1.  My question is what to do about my router connection.  I currently use WiFi to connect to the router using my laptop.  Since my router and network cable are connected, how must I change my setup to use only my laptop???????  Must I connect my network cable to my laptop?  Do I need to transfer any FIOS software to my laptop to do this?

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Losing Windows XP Support must move Router Connection
GoLf1952
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want to thank you for the quick response.  I removed the ethernet cable and am now using my laptop.  I guess that the only thing I must continue to do is to keep my router plugged into the FIOS wall connection.   The original connections shown on the verizon site indicate I still have windows xp and show my old computer.  Should I change that information since I will be disposing of my old desktop???

:-))

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think your asking what to do with your old XP computer's Ethernet (wired) connection to your router now that you have a shinny new laptop with WiFi.

The answer is simple; nothing.  If you're happy with the WiFi connection on your new laptop, simply keep using it.  Unplug your XP computer's Ethernet cable and enjoy using a wireless device.  There is no need to change or adjust any settings on the router.

Do keep the Ethernet cable around in case you ever have problems with WiFi.

You don't need to install any Verizon software on your computer(s).  If you have problems in the future, you may then want to install Verizon's "In Home Agent," but I would suggest you don't install it unless you need it.

Enjoy!

GoLf1952
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want to thank you for the quick response.  I removed the ethernet cable and am now using my laptop.  I guess that the only thing I must continue to do is to keep my router plugged into the FIOS wall connection.   The original connections shown on the verizon site indicate I still have windows xp and show my old computer.  Should I change that information since I will be disposing of my old desktop???

:-))

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GoLf1952 wrote:

Yes, the router needs to remain connected to the ONT (the big white Verizon box located somewhere in or just outside your premises).  The connection is either coax or Ethernet.  Don't unplug it or you'll loose all connectivity.

I don't know which Verizon web site you're asking about.  Verizon doesn't need to know what computers and devices you have connected to the router.  If you tell me which web site lists your old computer, I might be able to give you a better answer.

As a reminder, be sure to keep the Ethernet cable that connected to your old computer.  If you have trouble with WiFi, you can plug your new laptop into the router with Ethernet to trouble shoot.

Enjoy!

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

I don't know which Verizon web site you're asking about.  Verizon doesn't need to know what computers and devices you have connected to the router.  If you tell me which web site lists your old computer, I might be able to give you a better answer.

While I do not know for sure what they are talling about, I can take an educated guess and if I am wrong they can correct me. If I am right in my educated guess, then they will say so.

My educated guess: In their NAT router.

As to what brand, model and hardware version of NAT router that have ( for example Actiontec, MI-424-WR version C ), I do not know - nor am I going to take an educated guess.

0 Likes