Losing wireless
Steelers_79

I recently purchased a Lorex camera system for home. The cat5  coming from main box in garage was cut and new ends put on. I put a switch at that location  and plugged them in. I also plugged a patch cable to the dvr for cameras. Problem is when the dvr is plugged in the wireless cuts out in rest of house. When i unplug dvr wireless kicks back on. 

0 Likes
Re: Losing wireless
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Steelers_79 wrote:

The cat5  coming from main box in garage was cut and new ends put on. I put a switch at that location  and plugged them in. I also plugged a patch cable to the dvr for cameras.

I am not quite understanding your connections here. Can you maybe upload a network topology involving all the Verizon and Lorex devices? (You can insert a picture using the camera icon. After uploading, the image will be displayed after a moderator has approved the image.)

What models do you have? What's the model of your router? G3100 or G1100? What's the model of the Lorex DVR (it is more like a NVR from your description)?

I would conjecture this issue to be an IGMP flooding. Lorex is a kind of advanced surveillance solution provider. I would not be surprised if their equipment support IP Multicasting. Verizon's routers may or may not handle LAN multicast traffic properly. It is likely that the 802.11 (WiFi) layer 2 handling unit in the router do not support multicast traffic, so it broadcasts every frame from DVR, occupying all bandwidth available on your WiFi. If this is the case, you can disable IGMP on Lorex if you know how to do that. If you still want to have multiple camera viewers on the network, while wanting to save some network bandwidth, I would recommend you to either purchase a managed L2 switch or a L3 switch to control the flowing of traffic on your network.

I doubt that you need this IP Multicasting feature.  I don't think you have over 32 1080p or 12 4k cameras with over 3 viewers at the same time.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can’t put a switch between main box(ONT) and the router. A new ethernet wire should be connected from the router’s LAN port to your Lorex DVR.
What’s happening is when you connect the DVR it is taking over the WAN connection. You only get one WAN IP from Verizon. 
Get rid of the switch and run a new ethernet cable from router LAN to DVR and everything will be working properly again. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah, I agree with Edge1's diagnose. I may misunderstand your topology. Since you said "Losing wireless," I am assuming the ethernet LAN is still having access to the internet. If you put the Lorex before the router, your ethernet LAN internet should not work either.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Edg1 wrote:

You can’t put a switch between main box(ONT) and the router.

Slight tiny correction. I point to and quote part of Trying to Move Router, Can I Put a Switch Where the Router Is? 

@lasagna wrote:

To do what you want to do using a standard switch is not possible.

You could do it with two configurable switches that understand VLAN's in which case you could create two layer 2 separate non-routed VLAN's -- one to carry the "external" side of the router's traffic and one to carry the "internal" side -- which one switch on each side of a single trunk run between rooms.   But unless you immediately understand the terminology I describe above, then this is likely not the path for you.

^^^

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dslr595148 wrote:

@Edg1 wrote:

You can’t put a switch between main box(ONT) and the router.

Slight tiny correction. I point to and quote part of Trying to Move Router, Can I Put a Switch Where the Router Is? 

@lasagna wrote:

To do what you want to do using a standard switch is not possible.

You could do it with two configurable switches that understand VLAN's in which case you could create two layer 2 separate non-routed VLAN's -- one to carry the "external" side of the router's traffic and one to carry the "internal" side -- which one switch on each side of a single trunk run between rooms.   But unless you immediately understand the terminology I describe above, then this is likely not the path for you.

^^^

Correct. You need two managed switches that support vlans. That wasn't what the OP was asking about.