Loud pop outside, then lost DSL for a while
alanaspa

So this is pretty strange and the issue is now resolved, but I'm a bit worried about a potential problem in the future. Earlier today I was inside the house when I heard a very loud popping sound and immediately lost internet and satellite tv. I went outside thinking the worst because the noise was louder than a gunshot. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary and when I restarted the router all was fine. I'm just worried that this could be a sign of a bigger problem. Any ideas what the issue could have been?

0 Likes
Re: Loud pop outside, then lost DSL for a while
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was there any electrical activity (such as a Thunderstorm) in the area? It almost sounds like something electrical went to ground and took some of your services out when that happened. A transformer on the poles, for example could have done that and caused some power issues in your home, or also interfered with the telephone lines for your home and caused Verizon's equipment to shut off your port temporarily.

Either way, if it does continue to happen see if you can pinpoint it to a direction. It's quite possible you will need to get the Power company out to see what's up. Their plant is really the only thing that can cause loud pops.