Low Speed Internet with 940/880 Mbps
Rez2

I got the highest speed internet with fios named 940/880 Mbps.  I have very slow internet that I can not even stream a video on youtube without stopping many times. I didn't have this issue with my xfinity 50/50 Mbps. 

When I check internet speed test it shows real 5/3 Mbps which I think it is the real one I am getting. When I had the xfinity I could get 45/40 Mbps which was close to the real value. 

I contacted the verizon customer service they told me it is the device that can't get this value. the verizon test shows the correct value.

How is it possible that the same computer doesn't have issue in streaming videos when I connect to xfinity but I have issue with fios? How is it possible that all other internet tests are not showing correct speed ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Low Speed Internet with 940/880 Mbps
jonjones1
Legend

Well I am lost on this post, let me see if I can find my way.

you have the gigabyte plan 940/880 is Fios up to speeds. 1024/1024 is a gigabyte.

but let’s move on. How are you testing the speed? WiFi speeds will never get even close than even half listed speeds. However in your 5/3 analogy that is impossible.

it would mean your provisioned incorrectly. But Verizon states it’s not the case.

you must test the speed at https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

and the computer you are using must have a fast processor and if your using a older laptop or desktop say even bought 4 years ago it’s doubtful the speed is there.

are you using the FiOS Quantum Gateway? Or your own router? If you had this speed tested at time of installation? The technician would have verified the gigabyte speeds prior to leaving your house/apartment.

i would disconnect your router and all internet connected devices be they direct ethernet or WiFi and turn them off. Plug in just the router and wait for it to boot up fully. After that is done take an ethernet cable (RJ-45) connect one to the wan port and see if the light is flashing for activity. If it is then take a ethernet connection cable from your desktop or laptop and plug it into an available LAN port on the router.

go to the Test site I have given you above and Test the modem to Verizon’s server and see what the number say.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Well I am lost on this post, let me see if I can find my way.

you have the gigabyte plan 940/880 is Fios up to speeds. 1024/1024 is a gigabyte.

but let’s move on. How are you testing the speed? WiFi speeds will never get even close than even half listed speeds. However in your 5/3 analogy that is impossible.

it would mean your provisioned incorrectly. But Verizon states it’s not the case.

you must test the speed at https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

and the computer you are using must have a fast processor and if your using a older laptop or desktop say even bought 4 years ago it’s doubtful the speed is there.

are you using the FiOS Quantum Gateway? Or your own router? If you had this speed tested at time of installation? The technician would have verified the gigabyte speeds prior to leaving your house/apartment.

i would disconnect your router and all internet connected devices be they direct ethernet or WiFi and turn them off. Plug in just the router and wait for it to boot up fully. After that is done take an ethernet cable (RJ-45) connect one to the wan port and see if the light is flashing for activity. If it is then take a ethernet connection cable from your desktop or laptop and plug it into an available LAN port on the router.

go to the Test site I have given you above and Test the modem to Verizon’s server and see what the number say.

undivide
Enthusiast - Level 2

you need to call up verizon and request they replace your ONT with the newest version.  I was told by a tech that only this ONT can fully support the newest gigabit speed tiers.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@undivide wrote:

you need to call up verizon and request they replace your ONT with the newest version.  I was told by a tech that only this ONT can fully support the newest gigabit speed tiers.

You do not need a Verizon router. The person or persons that told you that lied.

0 Likes
wills66

You are wrong... He didn't say router he said ONT (Outside Network Terminal) or something like that... This is the box on the OUTSIDE of your building that is the interface between the fiber and the inside wiring.  Fiber comes in from the outside of your house and into the ONT... out of the ONT into your house comes the coax and/or ethernet wiring to your router (which can be fios owned or personally owned) 

0 Likes
whitebuffalo1

Does it depend where we live?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes