M1424WR Rev.D Windows 7 Eithernet connectivity
RickBlacker

Hi all. I have FIOS and the M1424WR Rev.D router

Have a few computers.

• HP desktop / Windows Vista / Eithernet.  Will connect to network, periodically drops connection have to reboot.
  • IBM Thinkpad laptop / Windows XP / Wireless and or Eithernet , no issues
  • IBM Thinkpad laptop / Windows 7 / Wireless and or Eithernet, no issues
  • HP desktop / Windows 7 / Eithernet. Will not connect to network at all wired directly into the back of the router

Was hoping to find out if this particualr router is knowin to have issues with Windows 7 and eithernet connectivity?  I've tried all  kinds of different remedies that I've found on the internet regarding Windows 7 and network issues.  At this point, I'm not sure if it's Windows 7, my new HP computer or my router.

The HP get lights blinking on the network jack, windows 7 says it's found an unknown network, but does not recognize it as it's normal name.  It can not connect to the netowork nor can it even ping the router.

Should I upgrade, or can I upgrade my router?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

*EDIT*

Wanted to add that

• I have done IPCONFIG, there is no ipaddress being assigned. 
  • The router is setup for normal DHCP server. 
  • I've rebooted the router, 
  • I've even ran the update on the router to check for updates.
  • Number of connections is not an issue. I've tried connecting with both laptops have been shut off
0 Likes
Re: M1424WR Rev.D Windows 7 Eithernet connectivity
Justin46
Legend

Rick,

I wish I could say "do this and all will be well" but I can't. I can tell you that I do have an HP (laptop) with Windows 7 that works just fine with the same router (Rev. D) and it works just fine. In fact my Actiontec Rev D router has worked just fine, wired and wireless, since I got it several years ago.

Just curious: the HP desktop, is that one you bought with Windows 7 already installed (from what you said I am guessing yes, but...), or did you upgrade from a prior Windows? If you upgraded, I suggest you:

1) See if there is a newer driver for the Ethernet adapter (guess you will have to use one of the working PCs for that), and if there are, download and install and see if that fixes the problem.

Or

2) Try deleting the Ethernet adapter from Windows, then reboot and let Windows re-install the driver; you never know, maybe the initial driver install failed.

If it came with Windows 7 already installed, I would go to the HP forums and see if there are any similar problems, or open a problem with HP Support and see if they can help. Of course there is always thepossibility that HP delivered the box with an outdated Ethernet driver, so a check on that would be a good idea I think.

As to the Vista desktop, my guess would be a driver problem. I have an older Toshiba laptop that would occasionally blue-screen when connected via Ethernet, I got an updated driver (from Microsoft in this case) and the problem disappeared. And I had connect/disconnect wireless issues with this laptop, new Intel drivers for the wireless adapter fixed that problem. So out of date drivers can certainly cause issues like you are experiencing.

Since you have two PCs that don't have issues, I really don't think it is the Actiontec itself. And Verizon automatically updates the code in the routers periodically, unless your router has been offline for months I doubt there is any new code you could download and install.

Edit: One other thought after seeing your edit. Have you plugged the Ethernet cable from the HP desktop that won't connect into an Ethernet port on the router that you know works? Maybe the port on the router is bad.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
RickBlacker
Hi Justin
  • Yes, HP came with Windows 7 installed
  • I will search to see if there are any new drivers.
  • I have removed the network adapter from device manager. Did not help. Still no connectivity
  • I can plug my laptop into the same cat5 cable and I get connectivity just fine.

Something that crossed my mind.  Do I need to run any kind of FIOS software on my new HP desktop?  I have a FIOS connection wizard CD, however, when i tried to run it, it said it was not compatible with Windows 7.  Does Verizon have an updated version for Windows 7?

Thanks

Rick

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Hi Rick,

No, there is no Verizon software required to be installed on your PC to connect. I have steadfastly refused to let anybody install any of that stuff on my PCs, I just don't see the value.

Glad to see you successfully connected your laptop using the same Ethernet cable, that eliminates a cable problem.

You aren't by chance using MAC Address Filtering in the router are you? That will prevent a connection if the specific MAC address for the new PC is not in the list.

At this point the only other idea I have is to go in and check the adapter settings, etc via Control Panel to see if anything obvious jumps out at you. I can't believe  HP would ship a PC with non-working definitions, but then again, it is HP....

Sorry I don't have any better ideas.

Keller, TX 76248

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I know this is going to sound obvious but sometimes its the little things that bite us in the butt.

You do have the HP connected to the LAN connection, not the wan, Correct?

Since the router works with other devices, I doubt it is the router (it still could be, but I dont think so). I also assume you have tried different ethernet cables to eliminate the cables, right? So that leaves the NIC or the drivers as the likely culprits. Now as cheap as NIC cards are now-a-days, I'd get a new NIC and see what happens.

donaldm823
Enthusiast - Level 3

MAybe another idea is to start your router from ground zero by resetting it to factory defaults.  Easy to do-just push the reset button in the back of the router for 30s, and it will reset all settings incluiding any MAC issues and/or rules or firewall settings.

Also with WIN7, you have to tell it that the new network (e.g. FIOS) is a home network and safe.  Your WIN7 PC probably came with Norton or McAfee-both have their own firewall and WIN7 firewall is turned off.  Reset those firewall settings also or turn them off briefly to see if the PC recognizes the new network

RickBlacker

Hey Space and Donald

There is only 1 network connection on the motherboard.  I have a HP tech guy coming back over to my house on Thursday for other technical issues.  This time, he's not leaving until he finishes the job correctly.  At this point, I can't do anything with it because I can't even get the PC to fire up.  He came over originally to replace my motherboard because I though as well as tech support thought the NIC was bad. Didn't get any lights at all indicating that it was working... We replaced the motherboard, still no lights, realized that it must have been my old hub... It's an OLD hub, so I put my network cable directly into the router.  Got lights.... So he left... Unfortunitly, he left before ensuring I could get on the network... So, I called HP tech support again, went though a few steps, they finally had me do a system restore.  Started to reboot after the restore, now the computer gets a popup saying something about a configuration error and to contact tech support, gives me an ok button, then shuts itself off.

Anyway, prior to all that, I also did try setting to factory defaults, also, tried unplugging and letting it sit for a few minutes, neither of those worked.  Computer did come with Norton, however, I never set it up. I don't want to use Norton and I can get Mcafee free though my work.  The company I work for supplies it's employees with McAfee.

0 Likes
Mikhail
Enthusiast - Level 3

RickBlacker, I have  a question in regards of HP Vista machine. When machine lost connection did you try to look at IP stack and adapter itself? What happens if open start/programs/accessories/command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all"? Could you provide output of this command here?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RickBlacker wrote:
Hi Justin
  • Yes, HP came with Windows 7 installed
  • I will search to see if there are any new drivers.
  • I have removed the network adapter from device manager. Did not help. Still no connectivity
  • I can plug my laptop into the same cat5 cable and I get connectivity just fine.

Something that crossed my mind.  Do I need to run any kind of FIOS software on my new HP desktop?  I have a FIOS connection wizard CD, however, when i tried to run it, it said it was not compatible with Windows 7.  Does Verizon have an updated version for Windows 7?

Thanks

Rick

If you go to the network and sharing center how does it show your machine as being connected.

It should look something like the pic in the attachment.  In particular what does the active network say/  I've had issues where the active network says public and then for some reason can't get a dhcp address which sound just like the issue you have,  The troubleshooter there may also help you

0 Likes