MDU via Zyxel VSDL - Constant disconnect
Jack_Luminous
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I have issues with this Zyxel modem via VDSL again.  I am in a MDU setup that sends the internet connection over VDSL to a Zyxel modem inside my condo. Since Saturday 5th February 2022 1:00 AM I have been getting constant disconnects every 4-5 minutes continuously then it's fine again. Sunday and Monday I did not notice any disconnects but Tuesday, Thursday I lost internet connectivity repeatedly all day. Very frustrating when you WFH and need to run a meeting/presentation.

I called VZ and the tech was no much help. All i got was "We have connection to the ONT just fine. It's your router".

After mentioning a similar issue from last year, all I got was a "I already checked your connect. What do you want me to do?" The last time this happened, a few months ago now, the problem ended up being a bad power supply in the ONT in the building's utility closet. In that case, I kept losing and regain connection until finally it just never reconnected. When that happened, I also lost TV and phone signal. 

I have had filters on all phone lines in the house without any issues. Nothing else has changed in my home setup. I can't predict when this will occur and by the time I get online with a tech the problem stops happening. 

Is there anything else I can do or some magic trick word to speak to the tech to get actual troubleshooting help?

(sadly enough, I realized I also had a similar problem post from 2015 on these forums...ugh)

0 Likes
Re: MDU via Zyxel VSDL - Constant disconnect
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could you ask the FSC whether they have checked the MDU-OLT alarms? Specifically check for power and optical signal level.

Also, you may want to ask whether your multiple dwelling space qualifies for single family ONT conversions. Those MDUs are very old and is costly for VZ to maintain. The field operations are actively updating some MDU setups in select locations.

Jack_Luminous
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Cang_Household wrote:

Could you ask the FSC whether they have checked the MDU-OLT alarms? Specifically check for power and optical signal level.

Also, you may want to ask whether your multiple dwelling space qualifies for single family ONT conversions. Those MDUs are very old and is costly for VZ to maintain. The field operations are actively updating some MDU setups in select locations.

What does the MDU-OLT signify? Just so I have a clue when the tech challenges and blows me off again.

VZ came out to our condo association, met w/ the property manager who walked them through one of the equipment/utility closets as well as one of the units. This was maybe over a year or so ago. I asked the property manager about it a couple months back and he said that he had reached out to them and got nowhere. The ball's in their court as far as he's concerned. 

The disconnects have already happened several times this morning. I am going to get some more timestamps and call them again.  Since they replaced the power supply last time, it's been solid now all of a sudden this start happening again? This is just so frustrating and then you get condescending techs...

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

MDU-OLT link is the link between the Multiple Dwelling Unit resides in the apartment and the Optical Line Terminal resides in the Central Office. They are connected with a Passive Optical Network (PON) fiber optic cable. No alarms on this link suggests the PON card on the OLT, PON line, and the MDU are functioning properly. This would narrow down the issue to your modem and DSL line.

Do you have another DSL modem to swap and see?

Jack_Luminous
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the info. No, I don't have another VDSL modem to try again but I will ask about the alarms as you suggested.