MOCA Network - Network Extender Issue
KKgermantown

Hi,

I started out with gigabit, internet only service at my home.  One Wifi Network Extender connected via coax (for our TV connection in the living room).

Due to the onset of the coronavirus, I moved a work iMac, NAS, and printer into our newly designated home office space.  Only wiring into the room is coax... so I purchased a FIOS Network Extender (no wifi - has 4 ethernet ports).  Powers up fine, all ethernet connections are working and appear to be communicating fine locally.  I'm currently using all of the ports for the computer, NAS (x2), and printer.

The problem - the coax light goes on and off intermittently (approximately 19 seconds on, 17 seconds off, timing doesn't seem to fluctuate) - internet works when it's lit, doesn't when it's not.  I've checked connections and splitters - everything seems fine, recent hardware, labeled MOCA compatible.  I even tried a new line from basement to this network extender.  The line from the router splits once, creating two "live" runs - one to our living room, the other outside and up to this 2nd floor office room.  The coax runs are not near electrical.

What else could I be missing?  There is a device (I'm assuming the ONT) that does not have the Moca light lit... is there a setting there?

Could this be a faulty Network Extender?

Thanks for any advice.

0 Likes
Re: MOCA Network - Network Extender Issue
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the frequency rating on the Coax splitters between your router and the extender?

KKgermantown

54-1675 MHz.  MoCA 2.0  -3.5dB. 

I have a 2nd splitter (not currently in use) that came with the extender. Only difference is the Outs read -4.0dB. 

0 Likes
KKgermantown

Still having this issue.

I took the Network Adapter into the basement and tested it just after the splitter - same signal interval issue there... so it's not a problem with the line/connection.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model router and extender do you have? Try connecting the extender directly to the router’s coax port to see if it comes up. 

LIFIOS

I have this problem with one of my network extenders (the same pattern of coax light going on and off), but only when I use it with a splitter with one coax cable to the extender and the other to a cable box. 

When I remove the splitter and connect it directly to my wall coax line which goes to the router it fixes the issue.

0 Likes