MOCA Setup with ASUS Mesh Routers
bs4061
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm trying to figure out how to set up MOCA with my current setup.  I have FIOS Gigabit internet.  I have my main ASUS ET8 router connected to the latest FIOS router (ET8 Wan --> FIOS Lan).  I am using the wireless network broadcasted by the ASUS router, not the FIOS router.  I then have 2 router nodes in 2 locations in my house in an AIMesh setup.  Right now I am using wireless backhaul as I can't run ethernet cables at the moment throughout the house.  I get ok speeds, but there are still some dead spots throughout the house.  I would like to use MOCA as the backhaul of the mesh network.  Any ideas on how to set this up with my current set up?  Do I need a MOCA adapter connected to the main ASUS router?  If so, how do I connect it and how would it fit in with the FIOS router?  How would I connect the MOCA adapters to the node routers?  Does the ethernet cable go into the WAN or LAN port of the node router?

0 Likes
Re: MOCA Setup with ASUS Mesh Routers
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

MoCA backhaul is better than wireless backhaul.

G3100 has a built-in 2500Mbps MoCA adapter. You just need additional MoCA adapters for the distant wireless nodes. Compatible MoCA adapters include goCoax 2.5 (both gigabit and 2.5g Ethernet version), Actiontec ECB6250 and ECB7250. Verizon/Actiontec rebranded ECB5240M. Among these, ECB5240M is the cheapest costing $55 each plus shipping and tax. Nonetheless, ECB5240M is bonded MoCA 2.0 and caps at 1000Mbps not 2500Mbps.

I recommend you to connect ET8 LAN to G3100 LAN. What you have now is working, but creates a double NAT situation and increases latency. At each node, you have the coax coming from the wall to MoCA adapters, then Ethernet on the adapters to nodes' LAN. Also, turn off all the DHCP servers on your ET8 and nodes.

bs4061
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the quick reply - this makes sense.  If I connect my ASUS to the FIOS router Lan to Lan, would I then just be broadcasting the FIOS's router's wireless network?  Or could I still use the ASUS wireless network (ie so I have total control over the network)?  Would I set the ASUS as an AP rather than router mode?  Is there a way I can keep the ASUS as the main router in this setup?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No and yes. The wireless network broadcasted by both routers are physically separate, but not link separate. Both routers will continue to broadcast their own wireless networks along requiring respective credentials. When you connect two routers LAN to LAN, you are said to "bridge" the network on a router to another. Once two network is bridged, it is essentially one network, i.e. the devices can see each other.

Regarding the main router issue, do you have Fios TV service? If not, you can have the ASUS router as the primary and put the G3100 into bridge mode and disable its DHCP server. Main router in my definition is whichever router is connected to the ONT Ethernet.

bs4061
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do have FIOS TV service.  The FIOS router is connected to the ONT via ethernet and I also have coax (coming from outside I think?) connected to the FIOS router.  Is there a way to use the ASUS router's wireless signal and still keep my FIOS tv functions like guide etc..?  

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I see. Then you need the G3100 as the primary router.

ASUS's wireless network stays no matter you uplink to G3100 through its WAN or LAN port.

bs4061
Enthusiast - Level 2

What if I just got rid of the FIOS router, and connected ethernet from ONT to WAN on my ASUS router.  Then connected the coax line to a MOCA adapter and then ethernet from MOCA adapter to LAN on my router?  Would that work?  Would I lose any functionality?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 3100 is needed for the television channel guides. To the best of my knowledge, no third party routers can duplicate that function. There may be other functions that would be lost, but the channel program guides is the first thing the comes to mind.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It depends. If you have Fios TV One, then the answer is no. Fios TV One is hardcoded to require a Verizon router as primary. Otherwise, you would lose On Demand and remote DVR viewing if you were to use your own router.

Do you own the G3100 or do you rent it for a fee or free?

bs4061
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I have the G3100 that is rented for free.  I just tried doing this:

I set the FIOS router's IP address to an IP on my ASUS ET8's subnet.  I Then released DHCP from the FIOS router.  I then connected ethernet from the ONT to the WAN on my main ASUS ET8. Then connected FIOS G3100 to my ET8 Lan to Lan.  I rebooted both routers.

I Then added a splitter to my living room coax line with one going into my main FIOS One STB and the other to a GOCoax MOCA adapter.  I then ran ethernet from MOCA adapter to my ET8 node LAN port.  What is strange is that this worked initially.  I checked my ASUS router settings and the backhaul was ethernet.  Then all of a sudden, it switched back to wireless and I can't figure out how to get it back to ethernet.  All the lights on the MOCA adapter are on.  Did I perhaps miss any steps here?  Any suggestions?