Maintenance & Outages
mikewd1286
I've been experiencing a lot of dropped connections from my high speed internet lately. Apparently these are due to scheduled maintenance outages. The problem is that I receive no pro active communication about these outages. Instead my Internet drops and I'm left to wonder what happened until I call the 800 #.

Even better is that the majority of the outages occur at night which is when I happen to be working. I log into my work PC remotely via an Internet portal. When my connection drops, my remote PC connectivity is dropped causing a host of issues at work.

These outages appear to be occurring on a weekly basis or even a couple times a week and always happen during my shift at work. I'm paying for a reliable internet connection as I rely on it to work, so that I can work. These outages are a severe inconvenience. I can't begin to express my frustration as I sit here through another outage feverishly texting this on my phone as I await my internet to become available so that I can return to working.

I expect notification when my service drops. I shouldnt have to enroll for it at some website as I was directed. It should be forthcoming. Can't imagine staying with this terribly unreliable high speed offering from Verizon when the outages are regularly hindering my ability to work. Thanks for the quality product and service
0 Likes
Re: Maintenance & Outages
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes