Max Speed for Coax-connected G3100
hf18

I now have 100/100 internet service with the G3100 connected by coax to the ONT. 

With the router still on coax how fast can my data service be? I was told that if I get the newest gig ONT I can get 400 service over the current coax to the G3100 and not need to run Ethernet to the router. 

Was the FiOS rep right or wrong?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Max Speed for Coax-connected G3100
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The alternative is to put a MoCA adapter in the basement and another one on the top floor. An Ethernet cable plugs into the ONT and coaxial cable while another Ethernet cable plugs into the other adapter and router.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe 400 will be ok if using coaxial cable between the ONT and router. For gigabit service, Ethernet cable would be needed.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would need to ask about this. G1100 does support MoCA 2.0 Turbo mode on D6 band, achieving 500-600Mbps through MoCA WAN, but G3100 may be hardcoded to support only 175Mbps on C4 band of MoCA WAN.

hf18

Thanks!

Who do I ask? I’ve already gotten conflicting answers from tech “support”.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Using coax WAN between the ONT and router for anything over 100Mbps is not supported by Verizon; that's why you're getting differing answers.

There may be ways to make it work using non-Verizon supported configurations and hardware.  That's why the other posters here are asking you questions.  Some of the folk here are very good at coming up with alternate solutions.  Even though such solutions aren't Verizon supported, they will work just fine.  You just won't be able to contact Verizon support for help in the very rare case of issue.

In my opinion, the best solution is to run Ethernet from the ONT to the router.  In addition to being fully supported by Verizon, this requires no extra hardware or configuration.  It also opens up the possibility of using a non-Verizon router, should you want to explore that later (non-Verizon supported, though.)  If you can run Ethernet, do it.  If you can't run Ethernet, then continue to explore the coax options being discussed here.

hf18

I can't believe though that no one at VZ engineering knows what speed you can get over coax from the ONT to the G3100 router. Isn't the new ONT MoCA 2.5 capable and shouldn't that be able to support the 400/400 tier?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's true that the G3100 MoCA WAN is based on a MoCA 2.5 chip, but the MoCA chip in the ONT is old. So the link is as fast as the slowest chip. Black Nokia ONT has unbonded MoCA 2.0, but I believe this is typically not provisioned at 500Mbps.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's very simple; Verizon won't provision coax WAN for any speed tiers above 100Mbps.  If you ask them to, you're in non-standard, non-supported territory.

Is Ethernet an option for you?

hf18

I'd really prefer not to run Ethernet from my basement ONT to the top floor router. I'm not unhappy with my current 100/100 tier (no heavy Internet use, no gaming kids at home, just one TV at a time watching HD movies).

You've been very helpful.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The alternative is to put a MoCA adapter in the basement and another one on the top floor. An Ethernet cable plugs into the ONT and coaxial cable while another Ethernet cable plugs into the other adapter and router.