MoCA set up with New Verizon Home Router - need help/clarifications
Tony199798

Currently I have the Verizon Quantum Gateway Router, it's about a year old.  My house is currently wired with COAX outputs in pretty much every room, but Ethernet ports in none.  I'd like to get hard wired connections to all rooms for a few reasons (TIVO, some work related  tech issues, etc...).  Since wiring the house with Ethernet in every room will either take me a while or cost more than I'd like to spend, I'd like to see if I can get MoCA to work.  I spoke to a Verizon tech support and they said I can switch to the new Verizon Home Router to do this.  I looked at the new router and I think it will do what I want but I thought I'd ask here first.  So here are my questions/clarifications:

1 - If I set up the new Verizon Home Router, do I simply disconnect all the current Ethernet and single coax connections from the Quantum router I currently have and then re-connect them to the associated ports on the new Router?

2 - After I do this with all the Coax connections in my home be carrying internet signals.  By this I mean, can I plug the coax directly into the back of a Tivo unit and have internet, or will I need another adapter at each coax location?  I assume I will need an adapter to convert the Coax line into an Ethernet connection if that is what I need to connect a laptop or desktop computer.

3 - Has anyone used this router with Tivo and had success?

4 -  I have the Gigabit speed connection.  Will this set up give me roughly the same speed at each coax port throughout the house?

Thanks for any help, input and suggestions!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MoCA set up with New Verizon Home Router - need help/clarifications
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't necessarily need to upgrade to the FiOS Home Router to utilize MoCA. The Quantum Gateway is MoCA 2.0 and is fully capable of creating a MoCA Network. 

Verizon offers the FiOS Network Extender which is Bonded MoCA 2.0 for $55. The have four ethernet ports as well. You could get a couple of these and plug them in the rooms you need to be hardwired. The only thing is if you stick with the Quantum Gateway you will only get up to 400 mbps on the coax. To get the gig you will need to upgrade to the Home Router which is MoCA 2.5

You wiring at the router will stay the same. Ethernet connected to the WAN port and the coax at the coax port. Anything connect to the LAN port can also stay connected. 

I haven't heard TiVO is incompatible with the Home Router. So I don't see why it would be an issue. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't necessarily need to upgrade to the FiOS Home Router to utilize MoCA. The Quantum Gateway is MoCA 2.0 and is fully capable of creating a MoCA Network. 

Verizon offers the FiOS Network Extender which is Bonded MoCA 2.0 for $55. The have four ethernet ports as well. You could get a couple of these and plug them in the rooms you need to be hardwired. The only thing is if you stick with the Quantum Gateway you will only get up to 400 mbps on the coax. To get the gig you will need to upgrade to the Home Router which is MoCA 2.5

You wiring at the router will stay the same. Ethernet connected to the WAN port and the coax at the coax port. Anything connect to the LAN port can also stay connected. 

I haven't heard TiVO is incompatible with the Home Router. So I don't see why it would be an issue. 

VZFIOSUSER1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks Edg1 for the information! As I am curious, how do you know that the Quantum Gateway Router has MoCA 2.0 and the Fios Home Router G3100 had MoCA 2.5?

Also, I am hoping you can provide some advice? I currently have my ONT and Quantum Gateway Router installed in my basement in a closet at their very far end of my house. This is not an ideal location but I cannot easily relocate my equipment as I have a finished basement. When Verizon upgraded my internet to Gigabit speeds, they installed one Verizon WiFi Extender WCB6200Q in my first floor office and it appears that they used my prior coaxial connection to allow for a MoCA connection? When I plug in my Mac Mini to the WiFi extender, I am seeing about 900 Mbps download and upload speeds. However, the wireless connection is, best case, about 400 Mbps download and upload and the speeds vary wildly. For my second floor, my WiFi speeds are very poor. Therefore, would it make sense for me to buy another WCB6200Q WiFi Extender and connect it to a coaxial connection on my second floor or would you suggest that I purchase the new FIOS Home Router and two new FIOS Home Wi-Fi Extenders E3200 (install one on my first floor and the other one on my second floor) with the FIOS Home Router still installed in my basement closet? Thanks!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is the tech spec for the G1100. Check in the features tab...

https://www.verizon.com/smallbusiness/accessories/fios-quantum-gateway/

Here is the G3100 tech specs...

https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-home-router/

Personally I would just get another 6200 unless you don't mind putting out the $700. If you're getting 400 mbps on wifi that plenty for pretty much anything you need to do. You only need 25 mbps for 4k streaming and online gaming. 

VZFIOSUSER1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the quick response and for your advice!

0 Likes