Modem/router issues
Frustratedathom

For some time my Verizon supplied modem/router combo has been cutting out, requiring it to be reset 3-4 times a day.  The previous mild annoyance has become unbearable now that I must work from home. Do I need a new modem/router or how can I talk to a customer service rep?

In addition, since yesterday my landline service has developed a high pitched buzz making any conversation near impossible.  I know I'll probably get the same excuse that it rained and the lines got wet.

0 Likes
Re: Modem/router issues
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Drop-outs and high pitched buzzing on the phone line usually coincide with line damage. Sounds like you have water getting in the line, a bad splice, or a bridge tap which is messing up your DSL Service. To confirm, when your DSL service is interrupted, check to see if the DSL light is flashing, and if the Internet light is out. Some modems will keep the Internet light lit up even though the DSL light is out/flashing, so take note of that too.

For your phone services, you may want to see if the noise stops when your DSL modem is turned off. If it does, there might be a bad or non-existent or improperly installed DSL filter on the line. You should also check your phone service by connecting the phone to your NID: Here's an article on what a NID is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_interface_device . Most modern NIDs contain a test jack, where you can connect a line powered phone up to it and test for noise. Doing so also disconnects your home's wiring so it rules out your home's wiring. If you don't have a modern NID, but have a spare telephone jack handy, you can temporarily disconnect your home's wiring and wire up a temporary jack to check for noise.

If you're unsure of where the problem is, or if the noise persists after testing at the NID, call Verizon. You may wish to call in landline trouble first, since that is a regulated service and would get priority to repairs over DSL services. Normally, DSL services will be fixed when voice service is cleared up and fixed.

0 Likes
Frustratedathom

When the router went out today, the DSL light was flashing and internet light was out.  After reset, the DSL and internet both were steadily lit. The WLAN light flickered.  The buzzing on the landline was no different when the router was off.

There is a service box located on the adjacent property that serves the lines for both of our houses.  That box dates back to GTE days, and has been the source of many phone issues in the past.  The box is damaged and the wires inside were visible.  My husband attempted to close the box up to prevent rain from getting in.  How can I get someone to check this box?  When calling, we never get a customer service rep on the phone.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Frustratedathom wrote:

When the router went out today, the DSL light was flashing and internet light was out.  After reset, the DSL and internet both were steadily lit. The WLAN light flickered.  The buzzing on the landline was no different when the router was off.

There is a service box located on the adjacent property that serves the lines for both of our houses.  That box dates back to GTE days, and has been the source of many phone issues in the past.  The box is damaged and the wires inside were visible.  My husband attempted to close the box up to prevent rain from getting in.  How can I get someone to check this box?  When calling, we never get a customer service rep on the phone.

While you know what the problem is, as advised:

Call Verizon. You may wish to call in landline trouble first, since that is a regulated service and would get priority to repairs over DSL services. Normally, DSL services will be fixed when voice service is cleared up and fixed..

There is also DSLRerports.com in the Verizon Direct Area. Direct Link https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

As well as social media (if you are into that kind of thing) - facebook, twitter, ETC...