Most Ridiculous answer from Verizon
JaeHoLee

Hi all,

I am an international student studying in LA.

I had Verizon High Speed Internet (DSL) set up in my apartment since it was one of the two options I had, Verizon and Consolidated.

Since I knew that Verzion is one of the top three telephone companies, I trusted Verizon, therefore had Verizon come over and install the internet. (this happened mid September 2015)

When I called to set up the Internet, the representatvie told me to get a bundle that comes with a free phone number with no additional charge, so I said I would take that. And before setting up the internet, I made sure if there are any timely contracts (1 year contract or two years), he told me that the service is month-by-month basis, so I would not have to worry about having it for year mandatorily. He just told me to pay a deposit of $250, and I paid it right at that moment. 

Here comes issues now.

FIRST of all, they took my name wrong. I told my name Jae Ho and somehow the representative took my name as "JERRY". I called verizon few times to make correction on my name after I received a confirmation email with the wrong name on it, and they have not fixed it until now as far as I know of.

SECOND, they came to my apt on saturday to install the modem, and the guy who came to set the modem up told me my internet wouldn't work till the following monday since they messed up something (he said they had not set up the "switch" for me), so I had to wait 3 extra days. 

THIRD, after monday when the internet finally started to work, the speed was not at the level verizon promoted. it was WAY TOO SLOW. it took like a minute to make google.com pop up. and i don't know why, but it worked in the living room at that slow speed, but in the bedroom we had, which is much closer to the modem, couldn't have the internet working (this is so strange that i do not know how that was like that until now). So i called Verizon AGAIN, and they tried many different things, such as switching the "switch" and everything, but the result was the same. (this took at least 3 days).

LASTLY, finally got exhausted and stressed out at Verizon, I called in to cancel the service. It was not because of the sudden change of my personal preference, but the quality of service Verzion was providing (slow internet). When I talked to the representative at that moment, she told me sorry and I wouldn't be paying ANYTHING (not even the installaion fee or anything else) and I would get my deposit back, once I return the modem. However, I recently got an email with $90 some dollars charged to my account, so I called VERIZON AGAIN. and the final answer I got was that I have to pay for the service I "USED" for 5 days (it took five days for me to intsall the internet and cancelled, which proves that I have not used it), and I will NOT GET MY DEPOSIT OF $250 BACK since I have not used the service for a year. I was so angry and asked the rep why would I have to pay for the five days, when I have not even used it and I cancel within a week because of the service was not at the level verizon was promoitng, and also why I cannot get my deposit back, since it was a month-by-month basis and of all, why was she saying something different that the rep I talked earlier who told me that I wouldn't have to pay anything. And the representative accused me of not having the notes of the phone call that I had with the rep who assured me of free charge of the service, which was ridiculous, so I told her why don't she hear the phone call that Verizon recorded since Verizon have this aumotated voice saying "your call may be monitored due to quality of service". and the rep told me they only record the calls for the quality of serivice, not the actual context. (I thought quality of service was meant to assure for these cases when the rep and customer says different things as well as to improve the quality of the clearness of calls). The represenative told me only way, even though it cannot be guranteed, to not pay anything is to call them AGAIN, when the final bill comes out, and it is for sure that I would not get my deposit($250) back. 

What should I do? I feel awful that when I cancel the service because of its poor quality yet I dont get my deposit back.

Thank you for reading and please help me.

0 Likes
Re: Most Ridiculous answer from Verizon
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi JaeHoLee,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Deposit refund
JaeHoLee

Hi,

I have been waiting more than 2 months (actually almost 3 months) since I asked for my deposit to get refunded and still have not got it back when Verizon actually told me it would take UP TO 2 MONTHS.

I even paid more than the normal (paid $250) deposit since I am an international student and did not have SSN.

Please help. 

0 Likes
Re: Deposit refund
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi JaeHoLee,

We have reopened your Private Support Case. Please access your case through your profile page by following the instructions posted earlier. The support agents do not monitor the public boards and will need to hear from you in the Private Support area before they can begin assisting you.  Please keep all correspondence concerning your issue in the Private Support area until your case is resolved or closed.

0 Likes