Moved a mile away and DSL is no longer available
s148290
Two months back we moved to the other side of our small town. It is literally a mile away from our old address. I had hoped to just transfer our DSL account with us, but was told there was no availability. I randomly checked my old address and DSL is no longer available there either. Is this due to a bandwidth cap on the town itself not allowing for new subscribers? If so I'm confused as to why I wasn't able to originally transfer my service as there would be no additional strain on the network.

For reference, the town is Los Alamos, CA 93440.
0 Likes
Re: Moved a mile away and DSL is no longer available
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It could just be due to that section of town not having DSL Service actually available. Try calling Verizon and transferring the service, as the website has been a bit broken lately with DSL Availability (either on accident or intentionally).

0 Likes
s148290
Thanks for the response. I can get their landline service at my current house and I'm the same distance from the switch station as my old place. The new house had a filter plugged into a jack when we moved in, too. Putting all of that together and I'm assuming that things are set up for the capability of having DSL at the new house. It may just be that their site is broken and the customer service reps I've talked to don't care to try to dig any deeper to see why I couldn't keep my service when I moved.
0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@s148290 wrote:
Thanks for the response. I can get their landline service at my current house and I'm the same distance from the switch station as my old place. The new house had a filter plugged into a jack when we moved in, too.

Distance from the CO can be hard to measure. It's not "as the crow flies."  It's "as the wire hangs."  In other words, it's the length of the wire and it depends on how the wires are routed.  It could be longer than you think.

Are you sure it was a DSL filter and not something else?

Your assumption may be correct, Verizon has been known to de-emphasis DSL.  This typically happens when FiOS is available.  Is it?

If FiOS isn't available and the wire distance is within the limits, it could also be that there are simply no more DSL ports available.  Verizon hasn't been expanding DSL in some time.

Like others have said, your best bet is to call.  I suggest you call during business hours as you stand a chance of getting a knowledgeable rep.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
s148290
My old place was within a half mile of the CO as is my new place. My new place is in a slightly newer subdivision so maybe the lines were never connected to the CO or as you say maybe they take a longer route to get here. Still, being so close in the first place I think it's doubtful that I'm out of range.

It looked just like the filter I had at our old place so I'm assuming that's what it was. Could have been for something else I suppose. Or the previous tenants/owners could have just put it on their line thinking it improved quality without actually having DSL. Who knows.

Unfortunately, FIOS is not available. It's either verizon DSL or satellite internet here. After posting I saw that somebody had previously posted about lacking service at Vandenberg AFB. I'm guessing we have the same issues and as you say, there are no ports available. I have notifications set up for when DSL becomes available (hopefully when a port opens), so with some luck it won't be too much longer. I will give them a call on Monday to see if I can get any better explanation.

Thanks for your input!
0 Likes