Moving Fios router troubleshooting
jrbackon1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have 4 wall outlets in my home with coax connections. When I had Fios installed the tech connected my TV to a STB to one of them and the Internet router to another. Everything works fine as long as I don't move any of the equipment. In examining the Fios wiring there is a coax cable from the ONT to a 6-way coax splitter. All of the outbound coax connections from the splitter have coax cables plugged in and then they go off into the walls. I have no idea which goes where. 

I would like to move my router to another room with a coax outlet in the wall, but the router only works in the original room that the tech setup the router in. It seems as if all of the coax lines are connected to the ONT, but whenever I plug the router into any other outlet it doesn't connect to the internet (red WAN light instead of white). Am I doing something wrong, or is there additional configuraton I need to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moving Fios router troubleshooting
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes trial and error will work if you terminate all ends and try one at a time. Best thing is connecting router in room you want to move to then start plugging each ethernet one at a time when you get the right one the "data" or "link" led on you ont will come on and you will know your on right one. 

As far as coax is concerned it needs to be plugged into router also to provide IP addresses to the cable boxes over the moca connection so your guide and on demand works. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the room where the tech setup router also have ethernet connected to the router?  If it does you will have to run ethernet from ont to wherever you want to put the router. If your routers wan is connected via coax and all coax is connected on 6 port splitter then there might be a splitter somewhere else. 

jrbackon1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your reply. Yes, there is also ethernet connected to the router. There are several unterminated CAT5e cables near the coax splitter I mentioned. I don't have any equipment to determine which cable goes to which outlet, but if I terminate the cables and use trial and error would that work?

The only other place there could be a coax splitter is in the wall. I'll check, but I think the ethernet solution is more likely. 

Out of curiousity, why does the router require both coax and ethernet to access the internet? My understanding was that the ONT provided service over coax or ethernet but not both. Thanks again for your help!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes trial and error will work if you terminate all ends and try one at a time. Best thing is connecting router in room you want to move to then start plugging each ethernet one at a time when you get the right one the "data" or "link" led on you ont will come on and you will know your on right one. 

As far as coax is concerned it needs to be plugged into router also to provide IP addresses to the cable boxes over the moca connection so your guide and on demand works.