My FIOS connection has started cutting out
LauraS1
Enthusiast - Level 2

It started tonight and it's cut out for a few moments for three or four times now.

It always reconnects.

What's going on?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My FIOS connection has started cutting out
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The problem could be anywhere. It could be with the Coax connecting to your router, the ONT, the Fiber back to the local PON Splitter, the fiber going back to the CO, a problem in the CO itself, or perhaps a problem more widespread higher up the stream.

If you have Voice and TV service from Verizon, are those services affected around the same time as the Internet dropping out? Affected services would include choppy/poor voice quality on the phone, and TV would have pixelation. Also, have you tried rebooting your ONT? This can be done by unplugging the AC adapter for the ONT from the wall jack, then disconnecting the battery, waiting a few minutes and then reconnecting the equipment in the reverse order (battery, then AC adapter).

View solution in original post

maximuskid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you on the east coast where it is raining like there's no tomorrow since Monday? The powers to my home has been cutting out once in a while for a few seconds at a time.

LauraS1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I'm on the east coast but local rain is not nearly as bad as when Tropical Storm Irene hit us last week. 

Do you think the problem is further along the line where it's pouring?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The problem could be anywhere. It could be with the Coax connecting to your router, the ONT, the Fiber back to the local PON Splitter, the fiber going back to the CO, a problem in the CO itself, or perhaps a problem more widespread higher up the stream.

If you have Voice and TV service from Verizon, are those services affected around the same time as the Internet dropping out? Affected services would include choppy/poor voice quality on the phone, and TV would have pixelation. Also, have you tried rebooting your ONT? This can be done by unplugging the AC adapter for the ONT from the wall jack, then disconnecting the battery, waiting a few minutes and then reconnecting the equipment in the reverse order (battery, then AC adapter).

ptuck874
Enthusiast - Level 2

don't feel bad, I am in the Richmond area, been having terrible pings and download speeds, upload is still fine, did the in home agent to look at modem, etc. everything ok, used live chat the dude checked everything from there end to me and reset the outside box, still having the problems, got to be some water in the lines or something 😞 gonna give it til' Monday to see if it clears up, the tv and phone are working great, must be something in the network messed up 😞

ptuck874
Enthusiast - Level 2

update for me, everything looks back to normal, pings, 5 to 10 ms, downloads 40 , tested 2 time, looking good 🙂 

maximuskid
Enthusiast - Level 3

@ptuck874 wrote:

update for me, everything looks back to normal, pings, 5 to 10 ms, downloads 40 , tested 2 time, looking good 🙂 

Awesome! Great news.

0 Likes
LauraS1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smith6612,

We don't have FIOS tv and I wasn't fast enough to check the phones :(.

It seems to have cleared itself up but I'll cut and paste your reply to WordPad and print it out and keep it with my FIOS stuff.

Thank you so much.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome 🙂

0 Likes
Obi5Kenobi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm in Lynn, MA and am getting strange cutting in and out.  Also getting extreme fluctuations in speed according to speed tests.