My Gigabit speeds are nowhere near the 940/880 and the techs have no answer?
adl5848

I'm getting nowhere close to 940/880. I see average 500/400, hardwired. Average 80-100 download & upload via WiFi. I've dealt with several techs over the phone, 3 techs came out as well. No one can figure out what the issue is. One tech actually closed the ticket as resolved. Another one is coming out tomorrow with the "proper" equipment and a computer supposedly. They are trying to say it could possibly be my PC but my PC can handle Gigabit.

I'm just curious if there are any settings I could change on my desktop or router to try and improve the speeds? The best result I ever got was 716.89 /483.08.

I'm just at a lost on what to do?

Edit: When I go to verizon.com/SpeedTest & do the "Router Speed Test" it's showing 940/886 (I did that test on the 17th). When I do the "Device Speed Test" I get nothing close to those speeds. My desktop PC can handle speeds up to 1300, I should have no issues. Also, I just did a speed test via WiFi on my iPhone 6s and got 80/80. I had phone right next to the router. The iPhone 6s is capable of much much higher. I don't know whats going on but this is getting out of control.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My Gigabit speeds are nowhere near the 940/880 and the techs have no answer?
jonjones1
Legend

@adl5848 wrote:

I'm getting nowhere close to 940/880. I see average 500/400, hardwired. Average 80-100 download & upload via WiFi. I've dealt with several techs over the phone, 3 techs came out as well. No one can figure out what the issue is. One tech actually closed the ticket as resolved. Another one is coming out tomorrow with the "proper" equipment and a computer supposedly. They are trying to say it could possibly be my PC but my PC can handle Gigabit.

I'm just curious if there are any settings I could change on my desktop or router to try and improve the speeds? The best result I ever got was 716.89 /483.08.

Edit: When I go to verizon.com/SpeedTest & do the "Router Speed Test" it's showing 940/886 (I did that test on the 17th). When I do the "Device Speed Test" I get nothing close to those speeds. My desktop PC can handle speeds up to 1300, I should have no issues. Also, I just did a speed test via WiFi on my iPhone 6s and got 80/80. I had phone right next to the router. The iPhone 6s is capable of much much higher. I don't know whats going on but this is getting out of control.

First Verizon Fios states "speed up to" not guaranteed 1024/1024 

wifi will never reach direct connection to the router via Ethernet. Although your desktop may be capable of Gigabyte speeds it does not mean it will. There are many variables that affect the connect from the computer to the router, or to the internet.

verizon only recognizes the test from there servers to your home. They do not guarantee any such speeds from your router out to the internet. 

And when I test at www.speedtest.net 

i very ever get above 740/760 on any server. So don't let it bother you.maybe Verizon will switch out your router. Hey you never know 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: My Gigabit speeds are nowhere near the 940/880 and the techs have no answer?
jonjones1
Legend

@adl5848 wrote:

First Verizon Fios states "speed up to" not guaranteed 1024/1024 

wifi will never reach direct connection to the router via Ethernet. Although your desktop may be capable of Gigabyte speeds it does not mean it will. There are many variables that affect the connect from the computer to the router, or to the internet.

verizon only recognizes the test from there servers to your home. They do not guarantee any such speeds from your router out to the internet. 

And when I test at www.speedtest.net 

i very ever get above 740/760 on any server. So don't let it bother you.maybe Verizon will switch out your router. Hey you never know 

0 Likes
adl5848

What are you talking about? I'm HARDWIRED. The last tech said I should be seeing at least 900/800.  I have the best router they offer. I'm doing speedtest not only at the official Verizon site but 10 others ones including Google Fiber which they told me to try.

Since you know so much what is causing these slow hardwired speeds? The tech said I should be getting the speeds from the first SS not the second one. Every tech that came out said this is not normal at all.

imageimage

EDIT: And what are these variables your talking about?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@adl5848 wrote:

What are you talking about? I'm HARDWIRED. The last tech said I should be seeing at least 900/800.  I have the best router they offer. I'm doing speedtest not only at the official Verizon site but 10 others ones including Google Fiber which they told me to try.

Since you know so much what is causing these slow hardwired speeds? The tech said I should be getting the speeds from the first SS not the second one. Every tech that came out said this is not normal at all.

imageimage

EDIT: And what are these variables your talking about?

First lower your tone to me. I am a customer like yourself. You are asking for optimum speeds when it just may not be possible. And you mentioned wifi in your post. Reread  your own post. That is what I am talking about.

i ran a speed test this morning from Verizon's proprietary server and it was this:

and the second from Speedtest net. (See photos)

as you can see no where near even what you are getting.

additionally the variables are found here.

http://lifehacker.com/top-10-ways-to-deal-with-a-slow-internet-connection-514138634

Also like any internet service you are not the only person using the net so the more people using the nodes the slower it may become.

imageimage

0 Likes
adl5848

Not getting a tone. The first sentence in my post was:

"I'm getting nowhere close to 940/880. I see average 500/400, hardwired. Average 80-100 download & upload via WiFi."

I was talking about my speeds in general. If you're getting 300/300 on a Gigabit connection, hardwired and you think that is just part of the internet game, I was told otherwise by several reps.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@adl5848 wrote:

Not getting a tone. The first sentence in my post was:

"I'm getting nowhere close to 940/880. I see average 500/400, hardwired. Average 80-100 download & upload via WiFi."

I was talking about my speeds in general. If you're getting 300/300 on a Gigabit connection, hardwired and you think that is just part of the internet game, I was told otherwise by several reps.

No I read your tone as to what you were seeing on wifi. I just included a screen shot of what I see at speedtest net. I get higher and lower at different sites. This seems to be the norm. On another site I visit a guy stated my speeds were not acceptable although the Verizon site shows blazing fast speed, it will never reach the max do to device constraints. My Netgear R8500 is fast and fully capable of gigabyte speeds.

but I have never topped it out.

what is amazing is that when these techs said your speeds were not what they should be high 900's or 800's they are only going by the broadband speed test from Verizon's proprietary network server. So when you get slower or lower speeds from these Verizon servers, normally it would be non provisioning to proper speed tier, faulty ONT, bad Ethernet cabling, bad router, bad settings on your computers or even net congestion from your local machine out to the net.

you could try a ping or tracert to national, local or world web addresses. This will show you were the bottlenecks occur. Please remember you are using a shared resource and such speed issues will occur.

i doubt the tech will do anything after he/she runs their speed tests.

because Verizon's statement of "up to" legally protects them.

let me know what the tech says.

silent7

Just had new fiber run due to storm damage. Getting 940 down 960 up.

From my laptop wireless getting 340 down 360 up.  I have the Quantum Gateway Router.  Perhaps thats the issue ?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

WiFi is not gigabyte. I wish people would realize that.

wifi is going to be 1/2 or less depending on the devices used.

too many factors to consider.

0 Likes
SethD7

Correct, but it should rarely drop below 1/3 of the max ethernet unless it is a hardware issue within the router itself or throttled by the company. Being as Verizon doesn't allow customers to control/throttle their own WiFi speeds through the router. This is where Cox Communications is better. No throttled WiFi speeds. When I had Cox's 300mbps I would receive 250-350mbps WiFi speeds. With Verizon I cap out at 80mbps. This is either a router hardware issue or a setting that only Verizon can control. I think I might go back to Cox Coms just for the fact that multiple devices stream way better and faster through WiFi than Verizon.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you use the FQG G1100 that is most likely the cause if your bad wifi. You should consider purchasing your own router and you will probably get better wired and wifi speed. The G1100 just not a very good router.l and the wifi range is terrible. 

0 Likes