NJ Turnpike
phunternj
Enthusiast - Level 2

My DSL connection has recently become unreliable dropping the connection frequently, inability to access the DNS, and then after accessing the DNS, not being able to get to the final destination.  Nothing changed in my home network configuration during this time.  My Downstream atten is 53 db which seems high according to other forums.  Unfortunately, I don't have a reading of this value from before the problem.

Then it hit me.  My home is on the west side of the NJ Turnpike and the CO (Allentown NJ) is on the east side.  The trunk cable goes under the turnpike and recently had to be moved due to construction that is expanding the road.  I'm beginning to think this cable movement has negatively impacted my service.

I have a ticket in to have the line tested.  Will they be able to tell line quality between the CO and the box on the side of the house?  If they come back with the problem is your home wire (it's not  because the cable length is about 5' inside the house) I will be forced to move to cable internet.

Thanks,

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: NJ Turnpike phunternj
phunternj
Enthusiast - Level 2

The ticket was closed and when I finally got a human on the phone, they said "problem repaired".  Of course the problem is not repaired. I couldn't listen to the voice prompt anymore while I was on hold telling me to reboot my modem.  Here is another suggestion, when I call from my home phone, try user caller ID to find my information and the fact that a recent maintenance action was performed instead of tortuing your customers with phone support people with accents so bad you can't understand them.

Uncle!  I don't know if it will be any better but I am moving my phone and internet service to cablevision.

View solution in original post

Shamika_VZ
Contributor - Level 3
phunternj,

Yes the technitions should be able to tell if the problem is happening before or after the network interface device loacted on/in your house. Please keep us posted. ^MMP
phunternj
Enthusiast - Level 2

The ticket was closed and when I finally got a human on the phone, they said "problem repaired".  Of course the problem is not repaired. I couldn't listen to the voice prompt anymore while I was on hold telling me to reboot my modem.  Here is another suggestion, when I call from my home phone, try user caller ID to find my information and the fact that a recent maintenance action was performed instead of tortuing your customers with phone support people with accents so bad you can't understand them.

Uncle!  I don't know if it will be any better but I am moving my phone and internet service to cablevision.