Re: NO Internet Connection since Direct TV was installed
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like to me, the DirecTV installer was never informed of DSL being present on the line. You need a Filter installed between the wall jack and the Receivers that are connected to the phone lines. Even if they are not connected, they will keep a small load on the line to ensure the line is connected (that way they do not seize the line mid-call, for example).

That is really the only thing that could coincidentally cause a DSL outage, short of some funy goof-up on Verizon's end.

0 Likes
cmetzgar991
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok thanks - I will try that - I really didn't even know DTV used the phone lines!! I will go behind my tv hutch and put a filter on. thanks!!!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem. The only thing the DirecTV Receivers use the phone lines for is for Video on Demand (if you don't have an IP-Connected receiver) as well as Pay Per View. From what I've been told, the receivers even if they are a DVR do not require a phone line. If there is any sort of charge similar to what Dish Network charges for not having a DVR connected to a phone line, then it should be something that's a small, easy fix (like what you're going to attempt to do).

0 Likes
cmetzgar991
Enthusiast - Level 3

should I just unplug totally then? we dont' use the pay per view and can't imagine we will!!!

I couldn't move the hutch myself - hopefully tonight!! fingers crossed this is it!! Verizon keeps playing phone tag with me to schedule a tech to come out. I know it has to be something simple - the connection is there - i can see it under my wireless networks but "limited connectivity"

0 Likes
cmetzgar991
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok unplugged the direct tv phone line - tried it both plugged and unplugged - put a filter on and still nothing! the network shows STRONG, but unable to connect, limited or no ....blah blah blah

0 Likes
cmetzgar991
Enthusiast - Level 3

4th phone message to verizon with NO RESPONSE  -

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

"network shows strong"

Do you mean that the wireless network is up and you have a strong signal?  That really doesn't matter. What does the router status show when you log into it?

BTW: I'm assuming you have a separate router and DSL modem.  If they are combined into one unit, then you can still look at the status.

0 Likes
cmetzgar991
Enthusiast - Level 3

yes - shows strong

the dsl and internet lights are solid

the only one blinking is the wireless one

the modem/router is combined

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If DSL and Internet are solid green, you have a connection. We need to see if perhaps the issue is with the router at this point. Are you able to reach http://192.168.1.1/ and if so, does that page report the connection as working?

0 Likes
cmetzgar991
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are not going to beleive this!!! Last night I decided to not call my "executive manager" who never returns my calls and called the tech support - jeffrey listened to me rant and rave and then spent 45 minutes on the phone with me figuring out the issue!!! We had no network address assigned???? I don't know - but he got it working and was so nice to me!!! Plus he credited me back for the days we were without internet!!

Thanks for your help!!!

0 Likes