Need help setting up Apple AirPort Express router
GuyWithaRedCar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey there.  Struggling with getting Fios to work correctly the speeds I am paying for.  Any help appreciated.

I ordered 300mbps Internet-only from Verizon (no TV, no Verizon router, no coax).  They said equipment needed to be changed in the apt I was moving into to increase the speed to 300mbps.  Tech guy came out.  He did not change ANY equipment.  He plugged a Verizon router into the Verizon ONT box (it's a transceiver, so I am not going to call it a router or modem), got it working, and said "go ahead."  I plugged my 2012 Apple Airport Express into an ethernet cable directly connected to the ONT, and got speeds of only 30mbps.  He said, "Oh, that's because wi-fi is undependable."  I said "ok, I'll figure it out later."  The guy was nice, but seemed clueless.  It would have been smart to test the speed off the Verizon router (and he might have made a sale), but he never gave me that option.

I absolutely know my devices (MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad) are working flawlessly because at work I run speedtest.net (they have an app, too), and immediately get 200mbps.

The 2012 Apple Airport Express that I am using is rated at 300 Mbps for 5GHz and 150 at 2.4GHz.

I tried locking down the channels, and that did bump up my speeds from about 30mbps to about 60mbps.  But my concern is that I need to tweak the configuration further.  I've seen several articles on releasing the DHCP address, but I'm not sure if that applies to me.  Also, am unsure if I should be in bridge mode or not.  Or if I should change port settings.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need help setting up Apple AirPort Express router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would say the first issue you have is the Airport Express ethernet ports are 10/100. So even though you are paying for 300/300 you will never get more than 100 mbps while connected to it. 

The other thing it that is also wireless N which is rated up to 600 mbps. But you will never will get that in real world senecio. Also the amount of antennas in the router and the client also are a factor. I have a gig service and I’ll get 450-500 on 5GHz AC with a Galaxy Note 8. 

If you can I would drop down to 100/100 or upgrade to a newer router. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would say the first issue you have is the Airport Express ethernet ports are 10/100. So even though you are paying for 300/300 you will never get more than 100 mbps while connected to it. 

The other thing it that is also wireless N which is rated up to 600 mbps. But you will never will get that in real world senecio. Also the amount of antennas in the router and the client also are a factor. I have a gig service and I’ll get 450-500 on 5GHz AC with a Galaxy Note 8. 

If you can I would drop down to 100/100 or upgrade to a newer router. 

GuyWithaRedCar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks.  You told me in 5 mins what I was unable to figure out in 5 hours.  Seems absurd that the Apple Airport Express 2nd gen runs 300 Mbps for WiFi (at 5GHz) but only 10/100 on the ethernet pipe coming into the device from a broadband source.  That means the only value for speed with those routers existed for transferring files back and forth between computers and devices via WiFi on the network, AND that that speed could never be realized when the data source was coming from the Internet.  Do I understand this insanity correctly?

I'm tired of messing around with these old Airports, so I've decided to go with Eero.  Just talked to them, their flagship device has 1g ethernet throughput, they seem to provide good tech support, hopefully I'll be able to get up to 300mpbs on a created wifi network with their router.   The only thing that spooks me is that they won't allow you to administer rights and configure security on a desktop.  You have to use a mobile app!  Kind of weird.  On the good side, they said I might be able to use my old Apple routers in bridge mode to connect with the Eero network (which would allow me to implement airplay without having to buy a bunch of Eero Beacons).

Appreciate your help!