Need help with G1100 Router
YC11

I am having trouble connecting to the internet with the G1100 router that was sent directly from Verizon.  I thought it would be plug and play, but I couldn't connect to the internet with the G1100.  However, I can connect to the internet when I plug the G1100 into the LAN port of the old Verizon router.  Any thoughts on what's causing the issue?  Having to daisy chain the routers seems like a sub-optimal solution.

My knowledge of networking is basic.  Thanks. 

0 Likes
Re: Need help with G1100 Router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You must release the WAN DHCP from your old router before plugging in a new router.

What's the old router's model?

After pressing the "button" to release DHCP,  immediately disconnect the WAN cable from the old router, and connect the cable to the G1100 WAN port. G1100 should send DHCP queries to Verizon upstream devices to request a new public IP address.

Or, if you cannot release the DHCP from the old router, just plug the WAN cable into G1100 and wait around 1140 minutes (19 hours) after the DHCP is expired. When Verizon upstream detects the previous IP address is not active, it will respond to the DHCP query of G1100 and give it a new WAN IP.

If you have more questions, please ask.

0 Likes
Re: Need help with G1100 Router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just want to comment on something else:

You bought G1100 router perhaps to upgrade the speed of the older router? Have you looked into G3100 (2nd gen, what do they call it?)? G1100 only has MoCA 2.0, which is capped at 500Mbps for LAN MoCA. G3100 has MoCA 2.5, which can deliver up to 2.5Gbps (or bottlenecked by your WAN to 1000Mbps).

0 Likes