Need to Upgrade Computer...What Steps to Re-Hook-Up Verizon?
Family-Man-APB
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

Our 2003 HP is overdue a retirement and I think I'm going to buy a replacement for Christmas as a gift for the family.  We currently have high-speed DSL and I don't know what I need to do to changeover to a new computer.  Do I use the installation CD which came with the initial package and reinstall?  If so, will it recognize that I am an existing customer, or will it create new user and account information.  I've looked through some of the original documentation and cannot locate any directions on this topic.  Is there a link to a page on the Verizon site?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,

APB

0 Likes
Re: Need to Upgrade Computer...What Steps to Re-Hook-Up Verizon?
iemahxha
Enthusiast - Level 2

All the information you need is in the router so you will not have to use the old CD if you do not change the router. You can test this out by borrowing a friends laptop and plugging it in the place of the computer you wish to replace. If you need more help, feel free to call on me.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which modem are you running? Unless a PPPoE Connection needs to be established it should just be a matter of connecting the cable and powering on the PC. Anything else that is needed can honestly be done right through Windows itself. No need to run any disk.

0 Likes
Family-Man-APB
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm using the DSL wireless router which came from Verizon, roughly two years old.  Westgate, I think is the brand.

So, if what you guys are saying is correct, there are no "Verizon-specific" software items which will need to be reinstalled.

I'm only asking because I have a variety of Verizon shortcuts on the desktop which were installed back when I initially hooked up and ran the installation CD.  Most are shortcuts which basically take me to 'My Verizon' and 'Verizon Support', etc., so I guess I could create new ones on the new computer (I don't use any of these anyway).

If all I have to do is hook the modem cable to the computer, great!!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's it in this case. Just plug it in and it works. Those icons are nothing more than Internet shortcuts. If you like them, you can always create them or copy them onto the new machine.

0 Likes