Neighbors all around me get faster DSL speed. Why can't I?
joe_zip
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I have Verizon DSL at 1-3 Mbps.  I live in a house in which my neighbors are attached.  I had checked verizon help and they told me that they are eligible for 5-7 and in some cases, 7-10.  This makes no sense to me.  My neighbors to the left and right of me can get higher speeds and I can't?  The person on the help desk was not willing to help me and after the 60 minute conversation I ended it.  It is obvious to me that my neighbors are on a different line than I am.  What can I do to have my line re-wired so I can get the higher speeds.  This is very frustrating.

Joe

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Neighbors all around me get faster DSL speed. Why can't I?
joe_zip
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, but I am willing to pay for higher speed.  The point is that *ONLY* 1-3 Mbps is available to me.  I checked with Verizon personal and my neighbors to my left and right are eligible for either 3-5 Mbps or 7-10 Mbps.  That tells me that they are on a different line than my house.  I understand that I get what I pay for, but I am willing to pay more for more speed and since my neighbors are eligible for higher speeds, I should be as well.  But I am sure that this is because the phone line that I am on is causing me to be a greater distance from the central office and keeping my eligible speeds at 1-3 Mpbs.  I need to have my home wired on the lines that are the same as my neighbors.  How can I get this to happen so I can be ELIGIBLE for higher speeds.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

In all cases, if you pay for any speed of 1.1Mbps or higher, you can get up to 15Mbps. If you could, supply your Transceiver Statistics for us so we can get a basic idea of how your line looks. Higher speeds should be doable on any piece of equipment Verizon has on their end. Everything can at least hit 8Mbps/900kbps, per the ADSL standard.

0 Likes
joe_zip
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, but I am willing to pay for higher speed.  The point is that *ONLY* 1-3 Mbps is available to me.  I checked with Verizon personal and my neighbors to my left and right are eligible for either 3-5 Mbps or 7-10 Mbps.  That tells me that they are on a different line than my house.  I understand that I get what I pay for, but I am willing to pay more for more speed and since my neighbors are eligible for higher speeds, I should be as well.  But I am sure that this is because the phone line that I am on is causing me to be a greater distance from the central office and keeping my eligible speeds at 1-3 Mpbs.  I need to have my home wired on the lines that are the same as my neighbors.  How can I get this to happen so I can be ELIGIBLE for higher speeds.

0 Likes
joe_zip
Enthusiast - Level 2

How can I get Transceiver Statistics?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Right. That's why i asked for the Transceiver statistics, to see if the line is actually holding you back or if it's just Verizon playing games. I might not have been clear in my last post, but any speed above 1.1Mbps is the same package, and the same price. If you get 3Mbps now, you can get 15Mbps with no change in the account. It's just a provisioning matter which can be done literally on the spot. No paying extra, no bill changes. If you had the .5Mbps to 1Mbps package, that's when you'd pay a little extra for the speed.

See Verizon's own website for this information.

0 Likes
joe_zip
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verzion is telling me that it is a distance issue.  My neighbors are closer to the central office.  My neighbors to left and right share the same wall.  Their assessment has to do with the wire to my house, not inside of it.  I don't see what  Transceiver statistics will do about it.  They are just typing in address to the software that decides what package you can get.  I now understand that what I pay is good up to 10 Mbps, but they say, due to distance, I can no more than 3Mbps

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Right, but here's the deal. Transceiver Stats display the stats for the line between the modem all the way to the DSLAM on Verizon's end, and back, even though they can be skewed by inside wiring. If I can at least see them, I can tell you if Verizon's software can be proven wrong, and also get someone to take care of this for you. Verizon has several ways to determine what speed you have. The quickest one is the availability database which has been proven wrong countless amounts of times. Then there's some more technical aspects of it which network engineers and higher level support technicians are able to see. Then there's what the line tests Verizon can run shows, giving information on what equipment you're going through, circuit IDs, line capacities, and so on. There's also the engineering database which can be used in a theoretical stance to determine speed.

For the sake of things, if you're running a Westell modem: http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm (older modems) OR http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp .

If you've got an ActionTec modem, visit http://192.168.1.1/ and log in with the common default username and password of admin/admin. Click on Status, and then click on DSL Status. For either modem, just copy and paste the contents of the page, and remove any Public/WAN IP address you see.

0 Likes
SlightlyTweaked
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would be really interested to see how this provisioning thing works.  Where is it on Verizon's website.

0 Likes