New DSL Router will not obtain DHCP Address
gbaumgratz

I have a Westell 327W that constantly needs to be reset so I am trying to replace it with a Linksys X2000 DSL modem/router.  My current router is set up as routed bridge so I have set up the Linksys as RFC 2684 Bridge mode and the IP address stays as DHCP.  The status page show both the DSL status and the PVC status as up, but I am not getting an address still.  I've given up for the night - 1-1/2 hours with the Verizon person that eventually conferenced me in with the Linksys support and promptly fell asleep.  The Linksys person went through the settings with me and stated that since the DSL and PVC status show as up, the router is configured correctly.  They suggested I go back to Verizon again.  My line is still being held off hook by Verizon and the person has disappeared.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Hopefully I can get my phone back by morning.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: New DSL Router will not obtain DHCP Address
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are in a DHCP area, leave the modem powered off for two hours. This will break the DHCP lease on your old modem so that the new modem can obtain an IP. Bridged mode should make this a moot point, but it's worth pointing out regardless.

0 Likes
Re: New DSL Router will not obtain DHCP Address
gbaumgratz

I'll give it a try tonight and see what happens.  Thanks for the quick follow up!

Greg

0 Likes