New FIos Internet user
andykay

Hoping someone can help a new FIOS internet user that's not much of a tech person.  I have a new Verizon FIOS connection at home and an ActionTec wireless router connected to a box on the wall by coax cable.  No problem with the wireless connection to my two family laptops, nice strong signal all through the house.

I want to connect two powered switches by ethernet cable to the ports on the router.  One to connect my DirectTV box and bluray player so they have internet connections, and one in my basement to run a desktop PC that doesn't have a wireless card in it.  Are there any problems with this?  Does Verizon allow me to have two separate switches connected to the router which then power multiple items?  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New FIos Internet user
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You should have no problem connecting a switch to each of two ports on the Actiontec, and then feeding multiple devices from those switches.  I'm doing that myself.

However, I don't understand why you need a switch in the circuit between the router and the desktop PC in the basement.  If there's only going to be one device connected in the basement a direct run of Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable from an Actiontec port to the basement PC should do the trick. 

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You should have no problem connecting a switch to each of two ports on the Actiontec, and then feeding multiple devices from those switches.  I'm doing that myself.

However, I don't understand why you need a switch in the circuit between the router and the desktop PC in the basement.  If there's only going to be one device connected in the basement a direct run of Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable from an Actiontec port to the basement PC should do the trick. 

andykay

Thanks very much for the reply.  I guess it would be a lot simpler to just run a cable downstairs and attach that to the PC!

0 Likes
dvmg690

smash it

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@dvmg690 wrote:

smash it

Are we supposed to know what that means?

0 Likes
SIVADCR

I would want that long cable exposed in the house to connect the PC in the basement. My dogs would chew that apart. 

Is there an adapter that would work or a router just for that purpose?

I'm not a technical person.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes