New Gateway Modem/Router
John2461
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have DSL service with a 10 year old Westell 2200 modem and a Linksys wwireless B router.  I would like to upgrade to a new combined modem/wireless router to feed my home network.  What does the forum recommend?  Does one have to use Verizon equipment or would something like the Actiontec Model GT704WGB (54 Mbps Wireless DSL Gateway) fit the bill?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Gateway Modem/Router
John2461
Enthusiast - Level 2

I solved my troublesome modem/router combination by going with a new Actiontec GT784WN combined modem and router.  The installation was very straight forward until I ran into a bad network card on the computer I was using to set up the new unit.  A quick call to a very knowledgeable tech at Actiontec solved my problem with that and the balance of the conversion went very well and I was on line with my DSL connection.  In three weeks of use, I have not had one drop out with the new modem/router.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're free to use any ADSL Gateway you'd like to use. You're also free to use your own Modem/router combo (which I would suggest over an all-in-one device). An ActionTec will work fine if you wish to get it as Verizon in some areas still hands out that particular gateway. Asking Verizon to send out a new modem/router will often result in the issuing of a Westell 7500.

As far as recommendations go, what are you looking to upgrade to? Do you have any Wireless N devices or devices that have Gigabit Ethernet support?

0 Likes
John2461
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response on a recommendation for a new gateway.  I do have one new laptop on the wireless network that will receive wireless "n" , one desktop on ethernet, and one older laptop that, I believe, is only "b" capable.  Also, why do you prefer a modem/router combo over an all-in-one?

0 Likes
John2461
Enthusiast - Level 2

I solved my troublesome modem/router combination by going with a new Actiontec GT784WN combined modem and router.  The installation was very straight forward until I ran into a bad network card on the computer I was using to set up the new unit.  A quick call to a very knowledgeable tech at Actiontec solved my problem with that and the balance of the conversion went very well and I was on line with my DSL connection.  In three weeks of use, I have not had one drop out with the new modem/router.

0 Likes