New Installation question: New or old cables?
KrazyKatLady1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm switching from Comcast to FIOS. I understand that they will run optical cable into my condo, but what about inside my unit? Do they need to replace all the cables? Do they use the coaxial cable that Comcast used? The cable is over 20 years old, so should it be replaced anyway?

I will need to move some significant pieces of furniture if they need to replace the cable inside my house, but I don't mind if it will give me better service. I also don't want to move things I don't need to. I know that I have to clear the space where they need to install the box.

0 Likes
Re: New Installation question: New or old cables?
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

After the optical fiber is run, they will install a box called an ONT that converts the fiber to coax. They will then plug into the existing coax running throughout your house, so they won't have to install any new cables.

Even if the cable is older it can still be used. 

0 Likes
Re: New Installation question: New or old cables?
jonjones1
Legend

@KrazyKatLady wrote:

I'm switching from Comcast to FIOS. I understand that they will run optical cable into my condo, but what about inside my unit? Do they need to replace all the cables? Do they use the coaxial cable that Comcast used? The cable is over 20 years old, so should it be replaced anyway?

I will need to move some significant pieces of furniture if they need to replace the cable inside my house, but I don't mind if it will give me better service. I also don't want to move things I don't need to. I know that I have to clear the space where they need to install the box.

Depending on your type of service Verizon now uses fiber optics via ethernet connections for internet service if you are getting that portion of service. The tv of course will be coaxial but if the cable company used high quality coaxial it may not need to be replaced. It may however if included switches, they may need to be replaced. Let them look at it and maybe test the line.

0 Likes