New License?
blackhorse16a

I have only TV and internet from Verizon, so I have ethernet from ONT to router. I had my Netgear router working for a couple of days, then the output ports stopped working (don't get me started on Netgear's tech support Smiley Mad). Anyway, I'm replacing the router with the same model.

Will I still need a new lease, or can I just plug in the new router?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New License?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I hear you on the Netgear... it’s not a Nighthawk is it?   Mine kept having the 2.4ghz go offline (5ghz and wired continued to work just fine).  Reset the router and everything works for a few hours and then the 2.4ghz goes offline again.   No amount of firmware upgrades seemed to every resolve it.  It’ll go for months sometimes with no issue and then it gets into a funk and drops a couple times a day.  Finally got an equivalent Tp-link and it’s been working just fine.  Done with Netgear’s.

As for the lease, as was said, the ONT has been pretty quick lately at clearing the lease if the router is powered off for a minute or two allowing for a change of gear.   If not, a manual release on the old router before power down always works for me.  Worst case, leaving everything off for 30 minutes also clears the lease.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I never have to break my lease anymore. If I plug in the different router it gets a new WAN IP. If it doesn’t work just plug the old router back in and break the lease. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I hear you on the Netgear... it’s not a Nighthawk is it?   Mine kept having the 2.4ghz go offline (5ghz and wired continued to work just fine).  Reset the router and everything works for a few hours and then the 2.4ghz goes offline again.   No amount of firmware upgrades seemed to every resolve it.  It’ll go for months sometimes with no issue and then it gets into a funk and drops a couple times a day.  Finally got an equivalent Tp-link and it’s been working just fine.  Done with Netgear’s.

As for the lease, as was said, the ONT has been pretty quick lately at clearing the lease if the router is powered off for a minute or two allowing for a change of gear.   If not, a manual release on the old router before power down always works for me.  Worst case, leaving everything off for 30 minutes also clears the lease.