New Router unable to connect to internet
CuddlyChud

Hello everyone,

I have Verizon FIOS and have been using an old Linksys WRT300N router. I believe this router is connected to the ONT via an ethernet cable. However, when I tried to replace it with a new Netgear AC1750, my new router was unable to connect to the internet. I'm not sure if some kind of configuration needs to be done on the Verizon equipment? Otherwise I don't understand why my new router won't connect but my old one does.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: New Router unable to connect to internet
jonjones1
Legend

@CuddlyChud wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have Verizon FIOS and have been using an old Linksys WRT300N router. I believe this router is connected to the ONT via an ethernet cable. However, when I tried to replace it with a new Netgear AC1750, my new router was unable to connect to the internet. I'm not sure if some kind of configuration needs to be done on the Verizon equipment? Otherwise I don't understand why my new router won't connect but my old one does.

Thank you!

You have two ways to fix this. First is to call Verizon support and have them release the dns from the old router and then you just connect the new router and wait for it to get dns on the new router. Verizon will do this in seconds so after they do the release, unhook the power from the old router immediately and then plug the ethernet cable into the wan port of the new router.

You can also simply unplug the old router then go out for two hours and the dns address should be released .

thirdly if you go into the old router and go into the dhcp release then unplug from power before Verizon issues you another connection you then take the ethernet from the wan port of the older router and place it into your new routers wan port. I would first plug your new router in then after you quickly release the old router the ethernet will just need to be attached.

it takes me longer to explain this than actually doing it,

0 Likes