New fios customer: internet not working
Slamjamsam420
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello all, I can't seem to find a thread about my current issue, but if one exists I will gladly delete my post if possible. 

I recently bought a house that already had fios connections and an ONT mounted on the wall. The ONT does not have a battery inside of it but from what I have been reading it only affects voice operations which I do not use. 

I went to Verizon to start a plan and was given a G3100 router to install in my home. 

I plugged in the router to the outlet and the ONT and both lit up as the manual says. 

The ethernet port top light is a bright green that flashes every so often indicating a connection. However after the router is finished booting up it is stuck as a solid yellow light.

Why is this? I reset the router, reset the ONT by holding down the button for ten seconds, used the fios app, used the the reset button on the router...and nothing. 

When connecting my devices it says it is connected, but no internet. 

Troubleshooter via windows 10 says DNS connectivity error. 

Is this something I fix in my command prompt? I feel like this isn't normal for a 3 day old service and a brand new out of the box router. 

What can I do? Thank you.

EDIT: all cables come out of the floor so I can only assume the one ethernet port is somehow connected to the ONT, because the box that I mentioned earlier has no ports, coax or ethernet. I really feel like I'm missing an obvious piece of the puzzle that shouldn't require a technician coming to my home.. 

0 Likes
Re: New fios customer: internet not working
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Slamjamsam420 wrote:

The ethernet port top light is a bright green that flashes every so often indicating a connection. However after the router is finished booting up it is stuck as a solid yellow light.

EDIT: all cables come out of the floor so I can only assume the one ethernet port is somehow connected to the ONT, ...

Yellow light on G3100 is indicative of no WAN network connection. Notice, this is different from no WAN data link. The former scenario is a layer 3 issue, while the latter is a layer 2 issue. Since you do have a data link between the ONT and the router (indicated by flashing LEDs on the ethernet ports), your layer 2 WAN connection is fine. Since the layer 2 is fine, there is no need to worry about layer 1 connection, that is, the physical wiring behind the router.

Can you go to your ONT and check whether the MGMT and NTWK lights are green? These two lights can be used to diagnose certain upstream OLT problems. It is also possible that the OLT-ONT management system has not caught up to the order system, so patience...

Slamjamsam420
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for such a fast response! I went back out to check and the following lights are on: 

• PWR
  • Data
  • Ntwk 
  • Mgmt

Does this mean I just need to wait? That would ease a lot of frustration.  

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT lights seem normal. You might just need to wait. Or the OLT feeding your ONT is not connected to the upstream layer 3 network. For checking that, you need to chat with a technical support representative. If you really do want to contact technical support, I suggest you to contact them right after 8 o'clock tomorrow, when there is no waiting time.