New modem didn't need username/password.
Fearocious
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I'm abit weirded out by this as I thought I would have to type in my username and password. Is this stored in windows somewhere?

Is my connection unsecured?

0 Likes
Re: New modem didn't need username/password.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of this new modem?

#2 Are you talking about the connection password to use this router by wireless OR the password for the UI control of the router?

0 Likes
Fearocious
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased an Actiontec gt784WN.

I'm referring to my ISP username and password. I reset my modem once a year ago or so and I had to call verizon to get my username and password so it only seems logical that purchasing a new modem would lead me to having to input the information again.

So this must mean either my connection isn't protected via a username/password or my information was stored in windows networking under my "home network".

***Also, I just received a new modem from verizon in the mail(After I purchased one last night LOL) but to be honest it looks like a piece of crap and feels very cheap so I think I'm going to stick with the good one I bought from best buy. Westell 7500 A-90 is what they sent me***

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Weird/Very Odd..

#1 After you hooked up the phone line and power supply to this modem combo, did you try and reset it to the Default Settings?

This means for example..

By pressing the reset button/switch for at least 30 seconds.

#2 I found a copy of the Start-up Gude online

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.actiontec.com/support/doc_files/GT784WN_QSG_EN.pdf&emb...

🙂

#3 In the Start-up Guide, on page 10 (out of 14 pages) for step 4. It shows the modem combo, auto detecting the connection.

#4 On that same page for step 5 if the connection requires a log-in, that is where you would enter in the log-in info.

#5 So, let me get this straight...

At step 4 your modem combo detected the connection, and you did not have to enter in log-in info?

0 Likes
Fearocious
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exactly, all I did was plug in the modem - hook up the phone line for the DSL connection and boom I was connected to the internet.

I'm not really complaining but it does seem weird.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not weird at all. In fact it's normal for that to happen in many areas now. Verizon uses OpenPPPoE and doesn't really require the correct Username and Password combination to work. I like it like that to be honest.

0 Likes