No IP address - Using Nighthawk Router - FIOS Internet Only
karn1011

Hi everyone,

I've read the sticky and have googled the question in a million ways. Still can't figure this out.

I'm returning to FIOS after a year away. I have a Nighthawk R7000P router. I have data over ethernet enabled from the ONT (according to the online Verizon rep). The ethernet cable is plugged directly from the ONT box to the WAN port on the router.

I only get an amber light instead of a solid white and an IP address will not establish. I've power cycled the router and the ONT a ton of times. I've gone through the online support that *claims* it will reset the ONT and the "Verizon Server". Nothing I do works.

The settings on the router are set to grap an IP over DHCP automatically. I factory reset the router just in case and still nothing.

The little lights by the ethernet port on the ONT box blink. The data light on the ONT box is solid. I'm at a loss here.

I don't want to call a tech over as. they'll try to charge me. I'm conisdering buying a Quantum router to figure out what's going on and then returning it, but I rather avoid that.

Any and all help is appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No IP address - Using Nighthawk Router - FIOS Internet Only
jonjones1
Legend

Well your photos are not visable yet, no matter.

first off when using our own routers Verizon will not fix any issues past their ONT.

so it’s doubtful that they will even bother going into your home to troubleshoot the Netgear.

i am going to assume you had “ethernet” connection previously? If not the first thing you have to do is call Verizon 1-800-Verizon and make sure they switch you to ethernet only. 

Secondly, you state you reset your Netgear back to factory settings. That is with the original login and password? you state you can login to it so if all setting are back to factory it is not the router. The router will obtain a DHCP after about 5-10 minutes after a ethernet cable is attached to the WAN port on your router.(make sure the router is plugged into power first) then plug in the ethernet cable from the ONT into the WAN port. But first as I said make sure your service is on ethernet.

another thing you can try which I do with friends and others I fix their equipment is to have a simple router of any brand on hand, I then try using that if the other router is faulty. This way I know my friend or other customer has a working router.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you able to log into the router? Some routers have to go though the setup wizard after they are reset. 

0 Likes
karn1011

Yes, I am. Setup process states that there is no internet connection. 

0 Likes
karn1011

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Well your photos are not visable yet, no matter.

first off when using our own routers Verizon will not fix any issues past their ONT.

so it’s doubtful that they will even bother going into your home to troubleshoot the Netgear.

i am going to assume you had “ethernet” connection previously? If not the first thing you have to do is call Verizon 1-800-Verizon and make sure they switch you to ethernet only. 

Secondly, you state you reset your Netgear back to factory settings. That is with the original login and password? you state you can login to it so if all setting are back to factory it is not the router. The router will obtain a DHCP after about 5-10 minutes after a ethernet cable is attached to the WAN port on your router.(make sure the router is plugged into power first) then plug in the ethernet cable from the ONT into the WAN port. But first as I said make sure your service is on ethernet.

another thing you can try which I do with friends and others I fix their equipment is to have a simple router of any brand on hand, I then try using that if the other router is faulty. This way I know my friend or other customer has a working router.

0 Likes
karn1011

I appreciate the responses. As an update - I rented a FIOS router today and it cannot obtain an IP address either and gets no internet connection.

This helps alleviate my concern as I now know it wasn't an issue with my router. A tech is coming tomorrow to check out what's going on. I'll update this thread after his/her visit.

0 Likes
KingMoley

Stumbled onto this thread with the exact same problem.

What ended up being the solution?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

See karn101 reply under your post.

evidently it was not the Netgear but a regular service issue.

call verizon to make sure your service is provisioned correctly. Then make sure it’s set for ethernet since netgears cannot connect via coaxial (moca) 

also is this as a primary router or an access point mode on the Netgear?

you can unplug the router from the ethernet connection for about two hours, or you can call verizon and have them resend the signal, or try another router to see if that functions.

0 Likes