Not getting IPv6 from FiOS ONT box.
ZTRNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have confirmed with FiOS tech support that IPv6 is available in my area and even others are receiving access to it.  No matter what I connect to my ONT box (Via ethernet) I am not getting IPv6.  I am not using the FiOS gateway but my own router. (I have seen users around the internet use their own routers and have no issues getting IPv6).  I have tried 3 differant routers and even connecting my PC and Xbox One directly to the ONT box, but no IPv6 coming through.  I even had the FiOS reset the ONT box remotely but no luck.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Not getting IPv6 from FiOS ONT box.
Custer1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm the original poster in the DSLreports thread.

I'm in Waltham MA, and getting IPv6 fine for more than a year now. Another poster, also in Waltham MA, verified this. We are in the same town as Verizon's advanced technology center, so perhaps it rolled out here first.

However, it seems no one else is receiving it outside of Waltham.

I can't believe it's not available in all Verizon FiOS locations yet, since it's been available on Verizon Wireless for a very long time.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@ZTRNJ wrote:

I have confirmed with FiOS tech support that IPv6 is available in my area and even others are receiving access to it.  No matter what I connect to my ONT box (Via ethernet) I am not getting IPv6.  I am not using the FiOS gateway but my own router. (I have seen users around the internet use their own routers and have no issues getting IPv6).  I have tried 3 differant routers and even connecting my PC and Xbox One directly to the ONT box, but no IPv6 coming through.  I even had the FiOS reset the ONT box remotely but no luck.

I don't know what information may have been given to you, but outside of verizon wireless IPv6 is not available yet. You would best check this out via http://www.dslreports.com/verizon and there are lengthy discussions on the issue 

ZTRNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2
jonjones1
Legend

Read the whole thread. Here is the last page on the issue 

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32136440-Networking-IPv6-working~start=600

it seems it is not verizon fios but a residual of Verizon Wireless 

ZTRNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did. The original poster shared screenshots of his router (Verizon FiOS getting an IPv6 address)  There is a discussion of others stated VZW is IPv6 also.

jonjones1
Legend

@ZTRNJ wrote:

I did. The original poster shared screenshots of his router (Verizon FiOS getting an IPv6 address)  There is a discussion of others stated VZW is IPv6 also.

The last page clearly stares and a poster has said IPv6 is not available yet. Those that say they had it, write back and say they no longer have it.

in one reply over there I told that verizon wireless does use IPv6 but not fios.

there is a discussion on why its not really necessary, and a few gamers saying it would be better and a regular poster stated verizon is not going to give IPv6 just because a few forum posters are wanting it.

if it comes it comes, if not then we don't see it for a few more years. Fios has been promising it for years. Right now verizon sees 5G as where they want to be.

Custer1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm in Waltham MA, and getting IPv6 fine for more than a year now. Another poster, also in Waltham MA, verified this. We are in the same town as Verizon's advanced technology center, so perhaps it rolled out here first.

I can't believe it's not available in all Verizon FiOS locations yet, since it's been available on Verizon Wireless for a very long time.

Custer1
Enthusiast - Level 2

What is your area? If you're not in Waltham MA, you probably don't have it.

It does not require a FiOS router. I use an Eero router connected by ethernet to my FiOS ONT; no Verizon router anywhere.

jonjones1
Legend

@Custer wrote:

I again must point out that in the thread I originally directed you towards it clearly states no IPv6 is available. Now as you say in your area maybe a test area, I can tell you where I live no IPv6 is available. I have read a vpn service like Nord or hurricane gives such. I cannot say that this statement is correct. I have read it at the thread I mentioned. 

verizon has no need to upgrade from ipv4 for this point in time. 

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

verizon has no need to upgrade from ipv4 for this point in time. 

Please explain why you feel that way.

I marked the OP's thread as solved, since the post explains why most likely why they are not seeing IPv6 yet.