Note D-Link DI-624 wireless problem with recent Droid update
YankeeDelta
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon support personnel should be made aware of a problem with a recent Droid smart phone update in conjunction with the D-Link DI-624 wireless router. We have a Droid smart phone that had a firmware update today, November 17 2012. Following the update we experienced major problems using the internet.

Symptoms: router's status light, which blinks under normal conditions, stops blinking for some longish period (5 seconds?), and the router reboots according to the router log. The LAN service lights are blinking quite rapidly, seemingly getting beat up by some device using the LAN.

After shutting off the router's WAP, internet service is stable. We re-enabled the router's WAP and disabled the Droid's use of the wireless service, confirming that this is the problem.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Note D-Link DI-624 wireless problem with recent Droid update
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the DI-624 even supported anymore by Verizon? D-Link EOL'd that device a few years ago. I think Verizon's been starting to ship ActionTecs out to folks who they believe have the D-Links. They are pretty old units so I wouldn't doubt it if some compatibiltiy issues are starting to show up with how the firmware handles traffic. If this is your own router though if this is really DSL service, you might get a D-Link DSL Gateway or a Westell gateway to replace your current setup. If this is FiOS, then you've clearly had the service for ages and I would consider retiring the D-Link for a newer router anyways.

You might want to try testing a few things. Try shutting off the typical such as any IPv6 services on the droid if possble along with any network multimedia functions. On the Wireless end, TEMPORARILY disable the security on the Wi-Fi to see if the router still crashes, and also try shutting off UPnP within the D-Link. If this is a "Super G" router, disable all speeds higher than 54Mbps as anything beyond that can be considered experimental or proprietary. Also shut off all auto-channel detection and set the D-Link to a Wireless channel manually.

YankeeDelta
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is definitely a longstanding service we have (FiOS, from early 2006), and I have no doubt that this router is no longer widely used.

I primarily posted because I wanted to send up a flag that the Droid software update (4.0.4, aka ICS or Ice Cream Sandwich) can do Bad Things to at least one extant WAP. It took a fair amount of troubleshooting to track down the problem (given that the LAN is only sporratically unavailable, service is not completely broken, simply unbearably slow with lots of web page failures).

Verizon has accepted that the Droid update is a problem (with assurances that Google will be notified) and is shipping a replacement. The testing suggestions are greatly appreciated; we may try them at a later date (esp. if the replacement Droid has problems).

We're currently not planning to replace the router because, save for Droid/4.0.4 behavior (misbehavior?) it works. Also, last I understood, Verizon only wants qualified equipment connecting to the NTU (e.g. the firmware is a Verizon-qualified variant--it doesn't want to run a standard D-Link image).

Thanks for the reply.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Certainly is fine. Let us know what you manage to work out if/when you get there. I'm interested in hearing about all sorts of fixes to problems we see around here.

0 Likes
YankeeDelta
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, the final resolution was to replace the router with a more recent model.

The replacement Droid had the same issue (not terribly surprising, as I'd strongly suspected that it was a software issue; Verizon Wireless did want to rule out a mangled update though). So I reopened the trouble ticket with Verizon FiOS, now with the specific information that the D-Link is incompatible with the Droid ICS/4.0.4 software update. New router arrives, configure it, and the issue is resolved.

0 Likes