ONT Ethernet Port Problems
shtabbbe

Let me just explain my story....

So my wifi card has been breaking and I have been receiving around 2mbs, totally unacceptable.

So I thought I would finally get ethernet, so I paid some electricians to run ethernet (cat5+) up from my verizon ONT to my room, when I plug it in, little do I know that it does not work. I then read that you have to activiate and im like ok don't freak out yet. But after spending 30 minutes finding even the correct place to call I get put on hold for 2 hrs and I am still on hold.

I know that it is possible, yet I still want to keep my Verizon Router and TV plan, im running the ethernet from the box to my computer directly, is this possible and what am I doing wrong?

0 Likes
Re: ONT Ethernet Port Problems
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try twitter @verizonsupport

You can have internet via coax or via Ethernet, not both.

0 Likes
Re: ONT Ethernet Port Problems
jonjones1
Legend

@shtabbbe wrote:

Let me just explain my story....

So my wifi card has been breaking and I have been receiving around 2mbs, totally unacceptable.

So I thought I would finally get ethernet, so I paid some electricians to run ethernet (cat5+) up from my verizon ONT to my room, when I plug it in, little do I know that it does not work. I then read that you have to activiate and im like ok don't freak out yet. But after spending 30 minutes finding even the correct place to call I get put on hold for 2 hrs and I am still on hold.

I know that it is possible, yet I still want to keep my Verizon Router and TV plan, im running the ethernet from the box to my computer directly, is this possible and what am I doing wrong?

You must call 1-800-VERIZON have them switch you over to ethernet from coaxial.

however depending on if you have speed under 75/75 or at that, you may need a premise visit to switch out the ONT .

the correct setup is ONT-ETHERNET FROM ONT TO ROUTERS WAN PORT-router LAN to use a ethernet cable to computers 10/100/1000 port.

that is how it is connected. You activate WiFi to use devices not connected directly to the 4 lan ports on the router.

0 Likes