ONT box in apartment???
bettyboop212

Moved into an old building but was assured by both Verizon and the previous tenant/landlord that Fios works here, and that our specific unit used it before. However during our attempt to activate the internet yesterday it kept saying to locate the “ONT box”. We…definitely don’t have that in here. Checked all the closets, etc. I know every inch of this apartment, there is no special box hiding somewhere. And landlord/previous tenant who used Fios in this unit also confirmed they’ve never heard of an ONT box. We also don’t have a wall Ethernet plugin, but the activation process keeps saying we need that for speeds about 100mbps (we’ve paid for the 1GB plan!) What do we do? What am I missing? Trailing from outside a window there is an existing small green/white cord that the landlord says is the Fios connection, but it doesn’t plug in to anything on the router, so I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with it. Help??!!??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT box in apartment???
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did the previous tenant or the landlord mistaken the ONT as a router and take with them?

Fios service requires an ONT (optical network terminal) since day 1. "They've never heard of an ONT box" shows the previous customer is either not very informed with Fios setup or just trying to cut the conversation short.

What you can do is to request a field technician setup. Fios setup for new customers ordered online is free of charge and you can ask for some free Ethernet cables and coax splitters if the technician is there.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is it possible that, if Verizon has an ONT installed, it could be outside the building or in the basement?

If you contact Verizon, do their records indicate where the ONT is physically located?

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The white/green cord is the fiber that used to connect to the ONT. You'll have to have a tech out to install an ONT. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did the previous tenant or the landlord mistaken the ONT as a router and take with them?

Fios service requires an ONT (optical network terminal) since day 1. "They've never heard of an ONT box" shows the previous customer is either not very informed with Fios setup or just trying to cut the conversation short.

What you can do is to request a field technician setup. Fios setup for new customers ordered online is free of charge and you can ask for some free Ethernet cables and coax splitters if the technician is there.