ONT > Vz Home Router > LS WRT1900 setup
Rdupes

Just upgraded to Vz Home Router from Quantum Router. My setup is from the ONT to the VZ Home Router WAN. I have connected LS Wrt1900 to a LAN port on the Home Router. I  have WiFi setup on the Vz Home Router and a second WiFi on the WRT1900, so that I am running 2 separate WiFi networks. I have setup WPS on both routers. 

My question is; how secure are both networks and is there any special setup I may have missed?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ONT > Vz Home Router > LS WRT1900 setup
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Generally, if you're using another router to act as an access point to cover weak spots, and you don't want it to be a separate physical network all together (in the sense that you want all devices can see each other), you'll want to make sure the Linksys router is put into Bridge Mode or Access Point mode.

If it has Access Point mode, the router handles disabling all router related services, and you'd make a connection from the LAN port on the FiOS or Primary router, to the Internet or WAN port on the router being set to access point mode.

For routers which do not have a bridge mode or access point mode, there are some extra steps. For example, you'll need to disable DHCP on the secondary router. You'll also want to disable UPnP, and give the secondary router an IP address in the same subnet as your primary router's LAN network so you can easily manage it, but give it an IP address that isn't going to be issued out by DHCP. With this setup, you would make an Ethernet connection from the LAN port on the FiOS or Primary router, to a LAN port on the secondary router being used for additional coverage.

This is all important if you plan to connect game consoles to the secondary router, or want to be able to access devices on the primary router, and vice versa. I can explain more on the second bridging option I detailed above if you need more info on that.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not really. Just make sure you have the wifi set to WPA2 with a strong password. Also make sure both routers wifi is set to different channels to minimize interference. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Generally, if you're using another router to act as an access point to cover weak spots, and you don't want it to be a separate physical network all together (in the sense that you want all devices can see each other), you'll want to make sure the Linksys router is put into Bridge Mode or Access Point mode.

If it has Access Point mode, the router handles disabling all router related services, and you'd make a connection from the LAN port on the FiOS or Primary router, to the Internet or WAN port on the router being set to access point mode.

For routers which do not have a bridge mode or access point mode, there are some extra steps. For example, you'll need to disable DHCP on the secondary router. You'll also want to disable UPnP, and give the secondary router an IP address in the same subnet as your primary router's LAN network so you can easily manage it, but give it an IP address that isn't going to be issued out by DHCP. With this setup, you would make an Ethernet connection from the LAN port on the FiOS or Primary router, to a LAN port on the secondary router being used for additional coverage.

This is all important if you plan to connect game consoles to the secondary router, or want to be able to access devices on the primary router, and vice versa. I can explain more on the second bridging option I detailed above if you need more info on that.