Old Device that only uses 2.4 Ghz single-band wifi
tonygba
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi -

I have Mitsubishi mini-split HVAC system that is controlled by wifi on 2.4 Ghz single-band wifi, ONLY!  I upgraded to dual band 2.4 and 5 Ghz modem so now the heating system can't be controlled.

Any way to add an additional 2.4 single-band wifi modem to my setup? Turning 5Ghz off the multi-band modem does not work.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Old Device that only uses 2.4 Ghz single-band wifi
tonygba
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, I finally called the Verizon help desk.  Turned out, they needed to something on their end to give me full functionality.  I can now use my G3100 router with my old Mitsubishi mini split HVAC units (that only uses 2.4Ghz).  I turned SON off and connected to the stand-alone 2.4 GHz signal.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Modem? Fios does not use modems. From your description, I think you mean the wireless router. Can you find the model number on the router? Is it a G3100 or a G1100?

tonygba
Enthusiast - Level 3

Right, router.  The new router is G3100.  Can you help?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If SON is enabled in the 3100, try disabling it and give the 2.4 and 5.0 bands different IDs & passwords.

tonygba
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks!  plus reset modem.  Tried that and didn't work.  Old device says "connection failed".  Do you think adding a "dedicated" 2.4Ghz router could solve problem?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

G3100 has a dedicated 2.4 IoT SSID. You can enable that and connect your IoT to that.

tonygba
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tried the IoT, but my device couldn't find the IoT wifi name?  do i need to change any other settings?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What do you mean it couldn't find the IoT name? Can you find that SSID in other wireless devices?

tonygba
Enthusiast - Level 3

when i look for wifi names, the IoT name does not show up on the list... when i type it in directly it say can not be found.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Then you have not enabled the IoT SSID. Can you screenshot the home page of G3100? Of course with passwords hidden.