Only option at new building is 50 Mbps. Really?
canon213

I'm moving to a brand-new new building in Arlington, VA that has been open since the beginning of 2017 and is wired for FIOS.  However, when I go through the steps to transfer my service, the online system only gives me a 50 Mbps option. Customer service has confirmed only 50 Mbps is available.  What is the issue? Why can't I order faster internet?

0 Likes
Re: Only option at new building is 50 Mbps. Really?
jonjones1
Legend

@canon213 wrote:

I'm moving to a brand-new new building in Arlington, VA that has been open since the beginning of 2017 and is wired for FIOS.  However, when I go through the steps to transfer my service, the online system only gives me a 50 Mbps option. Customer service has confirmed only 50 Mbps is available.  What is the issue? Why can't I order faster internet?

I am going to guess the number of folks living in the apartment building far exceeds the installed equipment to provide faster speeds. But that is a guess. 

Maybe a new ONT install may give you greater speed choices.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What upload speed is being quoted? If it's 50Mbps/5Mbps, it's probably a VDSL2-based service instead of the real deal version of FiOS. I've never heard of Verizon not having enough capacity in a real Fiber install to offer people more than 50Mbps. They would have overbuilt the network to have spare fibers and splitters to move ONTs to, and for NGPON2 expansion.

0 Likes
WxFisch

I am seeing the same thing in a new(ish) apartment building we are getting ready to move into here in Pittsburgh (the complex was built in 2014). Only option online is 50/50 service. Other posts seems to indicate that this is the default offered to new accounts in crowded areas and often you can upgrade after signup once it is known what the other nodes on that fiber pull are getting. I am hopeful that we can upgrade to 100/100 or 150/150 after we get moved in.

Were you able to do so once you got your service transfered? or were you actually stuck on 50/50?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

nokia and arris mdu vdsl gpon can only do 50/10. Tellabs and arris mdu vdsl bpon onts 30/5. But it does seem weird that if the building opened in 2017 would have vdsl. They were mainly use on existing buildings typically condos where verizon cannot get access to each unit since they are privately own. What is the upload speed offered? But like Smith6612 said if its vdsl then you will not be able to get over 50mbps down. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure why this Pittsburgh building would only offer 50/50 because tellabs bpon onts will do 75/75 and arris bpon onts will too with the exception of 1000m3/1000ji2 which only does 35 mbps up. Try calling in and see what they say. 

0 Likes
WxFisch

That is exacatly what I did (well I chatted with them, but same idea) and they were able to confirm that the base speed is 100/100 and they offer up to gigabit speeds in each unit. Not sure why the web form only allows you to choose 50/50 though.

0 Likes