Owning versus Renting Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway G1100 AC1750
S_P_U_D_
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

So with Verizon Fios I have the Quantum Gateway G1100 AC1750 router which I am renting.  I've had virtually no problems with it or my internet connection in the several years I've had it- just silly to continually pay to rent when I can own.  While looking at using (buying) my own router I dont want to have to run ethernet from my Co-ax in the basement and deal with adapters. etc. 

So is there any real downside in just purchasing the same router from a 3rd party- be it Amazon, ebay or other etailer (https://www.buyyourownmodem.com/)?  

Thanks for your insight.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Owning versus Renting Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway G1100 AC1750
jonjones1
Legend

@S_P_U_D_ wrote:

Hello,

So with Verizon Fios I have the Quantum Gateway G1100 AC1750 router which I am renting.  I've had virtually no problems with it or my internet connection in the several years I've had it- just silly to continually pay to rent when I can own.  While looking at using (buying) my own router I dont want to have to run ethernet from my Co-ax in the basement and deal with adapters. etc. 

So is there any real downside in just purchasing the same router from a 3rd party- be it Amazon, ebay or other etailer (https://www.buyyourownmodem.com/)?  

Thanks for your insight.

Just make sure its not an old fios router flashed with Frontier firmware.

no matter what anyone says IT REALLY should not be used on verizon fios. Check google to get further stories. Also if you buy on ebay make sure it was not stolen or not  returned quantum. It will not be hooked into fios. If not returned verizon may charge you for the use. Its best to buy either from verizon or even amazon which you can return if need be.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@S_P_U_D_ wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your insight.

Just make sure its not an old fios router flashed with Frontier firmware.

no matter what anyone says IT REALLY should not be used on verizon fios. Check google to get further stories. Also if you buy on ebay make sure it was not stolen or not  returned quantum. It will not be hooked into fios. If not returned verizon may charge you for the use. Its best to buy either from verizon or even amazon which you can return if need be.

Helpi

I do have the serial and MAC. Is there a way to check if the router is clean or reported as stolen?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The best way is to simply google for the online database site. No I have never looked for it but at another site I visit some posters said there is such a portal.

0 Likes