PS3 blocked
cw001

I have my PS3 hooked up to my laptop with a cat5 crossover cable with my wireless internet connection shared but the PS3 can't get an IP address , it took me days just to get into the router because the tech changed the password and never bothered to tell anyone or write anything down! When I try on the PS3 I get a warning on the router page but no way to allow it!

0 Likes
Re: PS3 blocked
Hubrisnxs
Legend

How to setup the MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router for multiplayer gaming with the Wii and Xbox gaming con...

It specify's Wii and Xbox but the same I believe holds true for the PS3  so give it a shot.   

@cw001 wrote:

I have my PS3 hooked up to my laptop with a cat5 crossover cable with my wireless internet connection shared but the PS3 can't get an IP address , it took me days just to get into the router because the tech changed the password and never bothered to tell anyone or write anything down! When I try on the PS3 I get a warning on the router page but no way to allow it!

0 Likes
cw001

I am not trying to get the wireless to work with the PS3, that works it's just too **bleep** slow. It gets blocked going through the laptop

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the link does not talk about wireless.

if you're connected ethernet, then it should be getting the full speeds, and it may be something with the router configuration, which the above link would help with.

so make sure upnp is checked and if it still is slow try the port forwarding option http://www.actiontec.com/howto/h2_cat.php?cat_id=3

0 Likes
cw001

the PS3 is inherently slow over wireless.

I am not getting an IP address from the router and the upnp was checked all along

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cw001 wrote:

I assume you mean you are sharing the laptop wireless connection using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)??

if so the IP address is meant to be assigned to the ps3 by the dhcp server in the laptop and has nothing to do with the verizon router.  If your ps3 gets an ip address such as 169.x.x.x then it means that your ps3 is not contacting the lt dhcp server.  If your ps3 is getting an address 192.168.1.x then it means that it is getting an address from the lt dhcp server but that address will be unusable to connect thru the vz router as that router is also using subnet 192.168.1

Years since I used ics but if it can be made to work the way you are trying then you need to be able to configure the dhcp server on the laptop to use a subnet other than than 192.168.1  Offhand I don't know how that's done but I'm sure somebody else here can point you right.

What IP address does the ps3 actually show?

cw001

I am not getting any IP address

0 Likes