PSK Security Key
JJKiv
Contributor - Level 1

Where can I find the PSK on the G1100 Router. The G1100 guide is out of date since last update and I can't find it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: PSK Security Key
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It took me a bit to find it myself.

Click on Basic Security settings under WiFi.

If you click on the button next to current WiFi security, you get two boxes (one each for 2.5 and5) that allows you to update WiFi passwords (which used to be called PSK is appears).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JJKiv wrote:

Where can I find the PSK on the G1100 Router. The G1100 guide is out of date since last update and I can't find it.

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

I think page 46

0 Likes
JJKiv
Contributor - Level 1

@jonjones wrote:

@JJKiv wrote:

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/default/files/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

I think page 46

No. That was what I was referencing when I said the "..G1100 guide is out of date."

The screens shown for 'Basic' & Advanced' security settings in the guide no longer apply to the router.   There is no longer a "Pre Shared Key" field as shown in pg 45 of the guide.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It took me a bit to find it myself.

Click on Basic Security settings under WiFi.

If you click on the button next to current WiFi security, you get two boxes (one each for 2.5 and5) that allows you to update WiFi passwords (which used to be called PSK is appears).

0 Likes
JJKiv
Contributor - Level 1

I had hunted that down as well, but considered that to be the wifi passwords only not the PSK.  Are you saying that the wi-fi passwords are now the PSK?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It appears so.

I only have ever heard of WiFi having passwords. In a sense it is a pre shared key as you have to configure it on both sides.

In devices that connect to wifi, I have only seen it called a password.

0 Likes
JJKiv
Contributor - Level 1

I think your correct.   I had remembered that PSK was a unique encrypted key derived from a combination of the SSID & password, but I'm thinking that was only on WEP wireless security & no longer needed with WPS/WPA2.  The G1100 update eliminated WEP settings completly so a seperate PSK setting is also no longer there which is why I couldn't find it despite the manual still showing it.  Thanks for your reply.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is more correct to call it a passphrase.  But PSK is more correct than calling it a password.  The 128 bit encryption key is derived from either the passpharase (up to 8 to 63 printable ascii characters) or the 64 hex character valued(256 bit) .

0 Likes