Performance (only 802.11n devices
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1
I have the latest Verizon Fios Dual Mode router which under "Wireless Settings" - "Advanced Security settings" - has 3 wireless modes: compatibility mode, Legacy mode and Performance mode. If I select Performance mode, my speeds on the verizon speed test are in the 55-60 range. If I select the compatibility mode, they drop to around 45. If I go with the Performance mode I have trouble with only one device: my Brother wireless printer. It will not connect to the home wlan. My question: Is there any way I can interpose a device to make my printer connect when using the Performance mode?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Performance (only 802.11n devices
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So you'll want to set up the second router as an access point, and I would also recommend making sure the wireless network it broadcasts, is both uniquely named, and operates on a different wireless channel.

As for which router to restrict to compatibility mode, use the slower of the two. The one delivering better wireless performance overall should be left to performance mode. 

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have another router, you can use that for older or slower devices. Or if the printer can be wired to he router via Ethernet, that will also solve the problem.

The Brother printer may have an older 802.11g wireless radio in it, which prevents the printer from connecting while the router is set to performance mode. Performance mode works by restricting what device types can connect to the router, so that only the latest and most efficient devices can connect. Older devices cause the router to devote more air time to that device, since the older devices take more time to transfer the same amount of data. In this case, performance mode enforces 802.11n and 802.11ac.

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you so much for replying.

I do have another router and was planning to use it as an Access Point to extend the reach of the current Fios router.

If I connect my second router using a long ethernet cable to extend the wifi reach, is it possible to have the fios main router set at Performance and the 2nd cabled router set at compliance mode?

Would that allow the printer to connect via the 2nd router even though the fios primary is set at performance?

If so, should the 2nd router be setup as an access point or as a router?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So you'll want to set up the second router as an access point, and I would also recommend making sure the wireless network it broadcasts, is both uniquely named, and operates on a different wireless channel.

As for which router to restrict to compatibility mode, use the slower of the two. The one delivering better wireless performance overall should be left to performance mode. 

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Now I have to implement this.

Wish you lived next door and could do the setup for me. It is daunting for a network newbie. 😉

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google your second router and access popint mode.

Generally, you disable DHCP on the second router.
Connect cable from lan port of FIOS router to Lan port of 2nd router.

Set up wifi on 2nd router.