Personal non-Verizon FTP access appears blocked
Plztakemymoney
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know Verizon discontinued THEIR offer for using ftp for websites but why can I only access my own purchased website host via ftp with my neighbors' TWC roadrunner wi-fi connection and not my verizon hsi?

0 Likes
Re: Personal non-Verizon FTP access appears blocked
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 To access this server do you use the IP Address or the domain name?

#2 If you normally use the domain name, try to access the server using it's IP Address.

#3 Without providing any log-in info (user name & password): Please tell post what the IP Address and or domain is.

0 Likes
Plztakemymoney
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have hosting through IPower. Do you mean ftp.ipower.com or are you asking me what my website is?

0 Likes
Plztakemymoney
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have never used the ip address as I recently bought a small business and "inherited" the website and am too busy to make any major changes at all right now, simply using any presets that came on the computer. The previous owner did not have Verizon, and Verizon only allowed me to use a few hours on ONE day adding content and making changes before refusing to allow me to ever connect again (which is why I've used the neighbor's TWC WIFi to connect). I had time to call IPower support this morning, and they said I had everything set up correctly but that throttling from Verizon was prohiniting access.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon doesn't block FTP services.

Likely what you're seeing is to the cause of a Firewall or a Double NAT setup. FTP has Passive and Active modes, both of which can be problematic depending on a specific network setup. You will first want to make sure you are not running dual routers on your network. Only a single device should be acting as a router. Second, make sure the firewall on your router isn't set to a high level and your computer's Firewall (you should also only have one running on the computer itself) is not causing issues.

You may also want to toggle between Passive and Active modes. The client should be doing this automatically, but it doesn't hurt anything to try.

Plztakemymoney
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for a sensible reply.... when I called the agent I got gave me a phone number to call and said they would be the only ones who could help me. Turns out, it was a web hosting service, but I already HAVE one! When I told her (the agent) that, and that the hosting service had asked Verizon numerous times over the last 5 years to cease and desist from giving out their number, she got a supervisor who told me Verizon would not support me logging into ANYONE'S site via ftp!

So, please, a bit more help. I have my Westell modem (from verizon - the old one: I think a 6100) with Verizon's firewall, then only ONE router which I assume has a hardware firewall, and each computer I've tried to get access on has ONE software firewall:  the computer I'd most like to use has just the Windows firewall on XP, another has Zone Alarm on Xp, another has the Windows firewall on Win 7, and my laptop (used at the neighbor's) has XP with Zone Alarm. There are half a dozen others not currently connected but without much difference.

The computer I WANT to use HAS been connected already via Verizon, for one day or maybe 2 early in July. No settings that I am aware of have been changed, but now I am unable to connect, getting the screen that asks me to make sure I am connected to the internet (which I am, nothing else is a problem), maybe after "timing out". I called the hosting service and they said I was doing everything correctly and to ask Verizon why I couldn't connect. I would think something needed to be changed on my end except for the fact that I've connected several times before! 

Is there any way for me to check something to see WHY the message about checking to see if I'm connected to the internet occurs?

PS: I've tried switching between active and passive modes with no better results. I do not know what "Double NAT setup" means.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

with info on what Double NAT causes

and how to fix it (provided that you are using one the following brands of Westell: 2200, 6100, 6100F, 327W, and 7500)

0 Likes
Plztakemymoney
Enthusiast - Level 2

I already switched to bridge mode when I added additional computers via using a router of my own. I assume that's the point of the article which you reference?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Plztakemymoney wrote:

I assume that's the point of the article which you reference.

That is correct.

What is the brand and model of this RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes