Poor, spotty internet; nosedive in quality
Vfam1
Enthusiast - Level 3

For the past few months, the internet service in my home has been bad and my family has been suffering intermittent periods of no connection. This used to happen about once or week or so but have been happening much more frequently and has turned out not to be a temporary issue as we first though.

We lose internet connection at least once a day and typically more often. Some of the worst instances are having a disconnect 3-4 times in an hour. Very rarely does the service resume on its own and most times I have to cycle the power on the router before I can connect to the internet again.

How can I resolve this issue? There are times when I work from home and need a reliable internet connection. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue and found a fix?

0 Likes
Re: Poor, spotty internet; nosedive in quality
jonjones1
Legend

Your fix is two fold.

1-Call 1-800-VERIZON and have them send a new router out to you. After it's up and running see if your problem is fixed. 

2-Go out a buy a top of the line dual band router like the ones Netgear makes. I am partial to Netgear but you can look at a TP-Archer or check out the best routers for 2017 at http://www.cnet.com they range in price from like mine $400+ down to around $90 or less. But you want a router with dual wifi 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz 

then your internet should be stable.

Now going on the premise the router is not faulty it could be a bad ethernet cable from the ONT to the Quantum router, pinch cable, cut wire, lose wire in which case you would want Verizon Fios to trouble shoot the router and to reset the ONT. They can do this over their connection.

However if you opt for tech support with your own purchased router, Fios will not give support unless you have one of their branded routers available. I am guessing if you contact the public service commission about not getting tech support they will jump all over Verizon.

Re: Poor, spotty internet; nosedive in quality
Vfam1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. Had Verizon check and apparently it is the router actually finally dying so I'll be replacing it. 

0 Likes