Port Forwarding Issues For Minecraft
mechatamaro

I am port forwarding for a personal minecraft server and I am coming across issues. 

1. I can ping both my internal and external IP however  the port does not ping when I add it in contrary to what pfportchecker tells me. 

I am using IP 192.168.1.2 for my internal IP and the default port for minecraft which is 25565.  I have inserted a screen shot below if you can assist me in any way it would be greatly appreciated. I thought about minimizing my firewall but all the videos I show *that I follow to the letter* do not show this and they are able to connect to their server. 

Router type: MI424WR-GEN3I 

Firmware type: 40.20.1

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Port Forwarding Issues For Minecraft
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 The port checker that you downloaded is not only a port checker, it also acts a server.

#2 Since you can not have two servers on the same port listening:

a) Close out that port checker that you downloaded

b) If Minecraft was running at the time, close it out too.

c) Open up Minecraft.

#3 If you followed my directions: Using any web based port checker, you should see the port open.

#4 If you folled my directions and using any web based port checker you do not see any port open, please post.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
supernet2
Enthusiast - Level 3

im just gonna assume you didn't reach out and look for help on the minecraft forums, nor did you even remotely look up a way to resolve your problem. Here ill help you

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/152-server-support/

I've made quite a few videos on simple port forwarding.

For the record you dont use your INTERNAL IP you distribute your external ip, and then perform port forwarding checks which assuming all goes well (proper configs on your end are done) it should just work afterwards (im assuming server is running, proper static ip is assigned to your host machine, proper external ip is given out for others to connect on) you know things of that nature.

Edit:

Forgot to mention for your issue, sounds like a anti virus or firewall on your end. Have you configured them properly? What windows os are you running? What have you tried thus far?

If your not gonna disable your anti virus or firewalls just to verify that it is them, what is the point of asking for help if you wont do that much?

If you completely disable your firewall and anti virus for a few minutes just to isolate/narrow down if it is indeed your antivirus/firewall thats stopping the network traffic, then you can find your answer their. My assumption from what you've said thus far suggests that you haven't configured your anti virus/firewall, or that it is blocking your inbound access (despite your proper port configurations).

Ip address 192.168.1.2:25565 is your server port. Im assuming your server is running when you run the port checks.

assuming the check backfires, one of two things, improper firewall/antivirus settings which is redflagging your javaw.exe or java.exe process, or probably something is misconfigured in your router (and from what is shown) it doesn't look improperly configured (on the LAN) network.

For the external connection though, say me connecting to your server, i'd need your external ip, and or game port. In my case this is my server ip --> 98.111.255.7:25565

you shouldn't need to put the port in to connect to it. just putting in the ip 98.111.255.7 should work fine in your MC client.

Thats of course considering that i've got all of my network in working order* so anything that tries to conect to 91.111.255.7 looking to access port 25565 will default to the computers i specified internally (via port forwarding) to that machine that hosts the server. More than welcome to try to connect as im rebuilding permission files so expect alota inability to do this/lacking permissions for basic /kill and /spawn commands

0 Likes
mechatamaro

Dear Supernet2,

Yes I know not to distribute my INTERNAL IP I know to distrubte the EXTERNAL IP which I did . It  did not "just work afterwards"  like it should though. I performed checks with PFChecker which showed the port open, however, it seemed not to be because of "things of that nature".

I forgot to mention that I had already tried disabling the firewall and it had no effect for that I am sorry. I am running Windows Seven (7). 

I had disabled my firewals as stated earlier so i do not need verification that it is them, contrary to your thoughts I had done "that much" 

I do run the port checks on my INTERNAL IP which is 192.168.1.2 at the port of 25565 otherwise known as 192.168.1.2:25565. while running the server everything checks out.

Considering we have already talked about EXTERNAL IP's working I will skip over your analysis for connecting to a server with an EXTERNAL IP

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 The port checker that you downloaded is not only a port checker, it also acts a server.

#2 Since you can not have two servers on the same port listening:

a) Close out that port checker that you downloaded

b) If Minecraft was running at the time, close it out too.

c) Open up Minecraft.

#3 If you followed my directions: Using any web based port checker, you should see the port open.

#4 If you folled my directions and using any web based port checker you do not see any port open, please post.

0 Likes
mnk11

hi

have you ever resolved your problem? i am facing exactly the same issue with port forwarding on my fios/verizon router.

-m

0 Likes
supernet2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ahh okay, sorry i didn't respond back sooner just noticed a new post now. Anyway check your configurations for the server. If it checks out green, could be something on your end, in the actual server configurations. I use Bukkit, so its a bit easier for me to use. But more so, the configurations file.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Server.properties

Basically edit your server.properties file, and change your port to the defined port you want (you said it works for port checking so...) im not sure if ts the port configuration in the server properties. 

where the server IP flag is, try this 

server-ip= LOCAL IP/FeedbackLOOP IP/External IP

So assuming you try out your local ip (ex: internal ip address, Ex: 192.168.1.87)

and then try hosting and if it fails try your external ip address, and if those both fail try 127.0.0.1 (feedback loop) address if it works their you go. Otherwise not sure how to resolve it as it sounds more so related to others who try to connect if they cannot connect and you can.

Do what i do for final confirmation if it does or doesn't work.

Login via a different network (just use a wireless hotspot) i use my phone, and other devices to host networks, and then connect (on a seperate isp & Ip) so that if it works i know its not my configurations but someone elses. If it doesn't then i know its on my end.

End point... What the initial fella posted 2 posts before me is the correct explanation.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over seven years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes