Port Forwarding / Router Loopback Support?
teaser7
Enthusiast - Level 2
I'm having the same issue as this guy: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-DSL-and-Dial/Port-Forwarding-with-Verizon-Branded-A... Basically, I'm setting up security camera viewable remotely. I set up a static IP and got the port to be accessible through canyouseeme.org. When I access my LAN IP (192.168.1.10:XX), I can see my camera (which means everything is good on my end), but when I try to access the WAN IP, I get no connection. Reading the post above, I tried the work around on loopback (added the 192.168.1.10 without domain under the local IP line in the HOST file), but still not working. UPnP off DHCP on (range from 64 - 254) DMZ off Am I missing something?
0 Likes
Re: Port Forwarding / Router Loopback Support?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have your own DDNS type of domain?

For example from http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

0 Likes
teaser7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply.  I knew I could count on you.  To answer your question, no I do not have my own DDNS type of domain.  I found out that the "outside" world can't access my WAN IP to see my security cam.  Only LAN IP works within my network.  WAN IP doesn't.  So, I guess it's not loopback problem.  Could it be something in the router is blocking port forwarding option by Verizon?  Have you seen this type of issue before?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the router go to Advanced Setup

#2 The screen on the router may look something like the screen that you see at

http://screenshots.portforward.com/Westell/A90-750015-07/Advanced.htm

#3 Go to Universal Plug and Play (OR UPnP)

#4 If you do not have at least two special type types of computers that support UPnP where you can not define the ports that they use behind this router, turn off UPnP in the router.

A perfect example: game console(s)

By game console, a special type of computer with no keyboard or mouse (and it/they are usually connected to a TV).

#5 In the router at Advanced Setup, go to Private LAN

#6 What is the Starting and Ending IP Address?

#7 What did the port checker at canyouseeme.org say (Success, Connection Refused, Connection Time Out) ?

0 Likes
teaser7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply again.  UPnP is off.  I have 2 computers and a network printer connected to my router.  canyouseeme.org can see me (Success).  Beginning IP is 192.168.1.64, ending is 192.168.1.254.  I set up static IP to be 192.168.1.8.  Again, I can connect via LAN IP, but when I tried connecting to the WAP IP, firefox said "The connection was reset.  The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.  The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.  If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.  If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 If you had your own DDNS type of domain - users not behind the router would be able to enter in your DDNS domain name and they could connect to you.

#2 But since the computer aways reads the host file before connecting to a domain:

a) if you had a DDNS type of domain

b) and if this router does not support loopback..

You would not enter your DDNS domain name, as directed at dslwebserver.com -> Step-by-Step -> How to write a HOSTS file (loopback)

Direct URL: http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/sbs-hosts-file.html

No, no, If you had a DDNS type of domain, you might add .lan at the end of the domain in the Host File.

For example if your DDNS domain was myhost.dyndns-free.com you would enter in myhost.dyndns-free.com.lan into the HOST File.

This way when you are not behind your router, you would enter in myhost.dyndns-free.com to access the server. But when are behind the router that does not suppoer loopback (or the other reasons that users write to this file), you would enter in myhost.dyndns-free.com.lan to access the server,

-

Moving along,,

Without a DDNS type of domain:

#1 You will have to tell other users on the net what your public IP is, so they connect to you.

#2 If the router does not loopback and if you do want to get a DDNS type of domain, here is what you need to do.

a) Make up a fake domain. For example, myhost.lan

b) Enter in the Internal IP Address and the made up domain into the HOST File.

c) Save the file.

d) Restart the computer.

Beware: If the domain that you made up is valid on the Net, you will not be able to connect the real domain. For example if you put in google.com as the domain and you enter in your internal IP Address into the HOST file, you will not be able to connect to google.com by domain name (only by it's public IP - if you know it).

I hope this helps.

--

Someone else might chip in and if your router supports this thing called loopback, they will tell you how to turn if on / unblock it in the router.

0 Likes
teaser7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply again.  I really appreciate you taking the long to help me.  I followed your instructions but doesn't seem to be working.  Even when I give out my public IP address, they still can't connect to me.  So, this problem might not be loopback support.  So frustrating.  Something is blocking the outside world from accessing my network.

Do you have any other ideas?  I really hate to have to resort to bridging to the router I was using when I had cable internet.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 If this camera has a built in web server that listens on port 80:

a) Go to http://network-tools.com/

b) There it displays your public IP.

c) Select HTTP Headers, from the options.

d) Press Go.

e) You should see the headers of the web server.

#2 But if it listens on port 443:

a) Select HTTP Headers and SSL, from the options.

b) Then press Go.

^^

For example the headers from secure.dslreports.com, are as shown in my screen shot...

--

If the server does not listen on port 80 or 443, perhaps you could tell me what your public IP and the port number is.

For security/privacy reason, please do not post it (tell me by PM/IM).

Then I will see if I can connect to your camera.

If you do not trust me, then tell someone else by PM/IM (then they will see if they can connect your camera).

^^

0 Likes